Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula to show monthly count

Irene Plant
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi, I am trying to figure out a formula that tells me how many entries have been entered for a particular month. I have a date column and an tonnage column so if I have 10tonne of material made on 1st February i would enter in the date column 01/02/16 and next to it in the tonnage column I would enter 10. I also have a total tonnage for February column, total tonnage for March column and so on for the whole year. I am trying to figure out a way to get the amount of tonnage entered for february listed in my total tonnage for february column as the amount of entries. For example if I had 6 entries under the date column listed as february I want the total tonnage for February to say 6. Any ideas on formulas for this one at all?

Many thanks, Irene

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are two ways to tackle tis:

1  Create a Column that extrapulates the month from the date - = Month(Date).  This will give you a number between 1 and 12.

In the Feb column usr a Sumif to add all the values fron the tonnage column if the month colum =2

2 Redesign the sheet ito Hierarchys by month and use the =Sun(Children() to give you the totals for each month.

• Irene Plant
    edited 02/16/16

Thanks for your help James, your first option is the one I was thinking of using but don't know how to write the formulas to get the month to be number two if the date is 01/02/16 for example, any ideas?

Many thanks.

• Sorry James, just found the answer! Thank you for your help I've set it all up now :)

• SORRY JAMES!! The formula I did for 'In the Feb column usr a Sumif to add all the values fron the tonnage column if the month colum =2' hasn't worked out......any suggestions?

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    • Syntax: SUMIF(criteria_range, criteria_value, sum_range)

Criteria_range = Column that contains the Month Number (Month:Month)

Criteria_value = 2

sum_range = column that has the numbers to add up(Tonnage:Tonnage)

=SUMIF(Month:Month,2,Tonnage:Tonnage)

This discussion has been closed.