Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Assigning multiple resources to a single row

Tris
Tris
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi all,

Can we somehow assign many people to the same row? for example, 3 people working on the same project. Currently the drop-down box shows individuals.

I could create a group - but would prefer not to. 

Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Hi Tris, 

I too have been facing this issue. The workaround that i have been doing is that i don't enter the resource details such his name along with the email id. I just enter the resource names and use a comma as a seperator between the resource names. 

I am not sure what is the impact in doing it this way, but helps to indicate to the team. 

What i understand is that you need to enter the same task multiple times and assign each resource to that tasks. This becomes cumbersome in managing the plan. 

thanks 

Robert. 

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tris,

This is one of the most asked for features on the Community Boards.

Read here:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/it-possible-assign-task-multiple-people

Tim

• Jason Hawker
    edited 08/23/16

Agree, this is needs to be rectified. Wanted to share how I workaround this but still add multiple users onto a task. 

1. Add (2) users into the 'assigned to' field with a comma separated

2. Created individual project rollup report for each resource called, 'user name - task report' Again using report builder it for one individual and all their projects assigned'

2. Both users then update in their report - % complete and I ask for Actual hours spent

3. When update is needed, right click task for 'Send Update Request'. In the TO line, can add both resource names for task updates. 

This is NOT the perfect way to do this and likely will have cross polination when both users adjust task % complete or actual hours but it was the easier way to make it work for my needs. 

• Thank you for the tip, but this is really cumbersome too.  Trying to show the utilization of each resource for a specific task should be something the project smartsheet should offer to ensure the % complete for the entire project is correctly represented.  I shouldn't have to add multiple lines for a particular task that has multiple resources on it either, just as cumbersome and a waste of energy when other competitive products provide this feature.  I would rather stick with your product because of it's ease of use, and would hope that we would see this feature introduced soon.  Pretty Please :@)

• why not add multiple columns such as "Assigned to Primary" Assigned to Secondary... etc. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

gefthymiou

Several issues with that work-around, among them

1. Resource Managements keys off one Contact List type column, not any in the sheet.

2. Reports built to consolidate tasks from multiple sheets and workspaces are harder if there are several / multiple different ways the Contact List type column could be named.

3. Contact List type columns do not allow formulas, so attempting work-arounds to (1) and (2) must overcome this limitation too.

Craig

• Any update on when this feature may be available?  We really really need this to be have smartsheet as a one stop for all project management on our projects.  Without we are having to download info and manipulate which means that data is not always live and current when reporting.  

• This is really fundamental to project management.  A typical example is a meeting involving multiple members of a team.  The only workaround I can think of is to create email distribution groups of the resources involved as multiple teams.  Of course this reduces the granularity of the resource allocation, but it would seem to work OK.

• Agree - this is 100% necessary.

Can we get a response from smartsheet? I may have to look for a new tool due to this issue.

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for posting!!   it only took 2.5 years from the time we started asking.  Hopefully, I can convince my team members who requested to use it.....

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/18

Be careful Tim

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/bugs-sumifs-does-not-find-multiple-users

I have found more but had to walk away from my desk. I am advising not to implement until you have tested the results. 

Craig

• There is one more step that needs to be included.  Allow the use of more than one column for resources.  And use more than one column in the Resource View.

For example, you may have a column as the PM.  One as a Trainee.  One as a tester...    

Currently there is no way to distinguish roles in a multiple contacts approach.  And we cannot select more than 1 column for resource management.

This discussion has been closed.