Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sending Alert Text Messages

Options
Andrew Paden
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to send alerts to my collaborators as text messages? Not sure if there is the capability to do this, and if not I would like to request it. Recieving a new email for every update can get to be too much. But I need the ability to highlight what has been changed on a sheet. Perhaps you could put a highlight on the phone app version as well? Like what you can do on the desktop version. 

Comments

• Amy Johnson
    edited 02/24/16
    Options

Zapier can hook Smartsheet up to an sms service to perform automated actions, such as alerts. 

https://zapier.com/

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee
    edited 02/25/16
    Options

Hello Andrew, 

I've added your vote to be able to send SMS messages as alerts, and for the ability to have highlight changes on the mobile app, to our enhancement request list to be looked at by our product team. 

As Amy mentioned, Zapier can serve as an alternate way to send text messages when a certain condition is met. 

We appreciate your input! Let me know if you have any questions. 

• Laurie Bearden
    Options

Please add a vote for me as well.  My team is looking for a "headline" or "breaking news" ability via text similar to news updates. 

• Kylie D'Costa
    Options

I vote for this one too!

SMS notifications and highlighting changes on mobile devices

thank you! Laughing

• bob afrej
    Options

we need this feature Asap. We'd like to be able to recieve an sms when a criticat ticket is submitted ! please add my 100 vote to the list .

Thanks

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The SMS text thing is nice, but I think the best thing to do would be to integrate notifications into the SS mobile app.  

In this way, you do not need to work with any new business partners.  It's just Smartsheet, Google, and Apple.  This also makes it easier to manage the alert settings, and allows you to receive alerts when you are only on WiFi.

This is a feature that my users have requested many times, but I'm just now getting around to putting my vote into the forum.

FEATURE REQUEST: Mobile alerts in the SS app.

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • melissa34381
    Options

Voting for SMS here too!

• Tamara Wood
    Options

It looks like the request for SMS has been ongoing for 2.5 years now. Can anyone let me know if this is in the short, foreseeable future? We use this as a professional conduct reporting tool and need quick connects for response time. With only an email notification it can take some people (we work in the medical field) a week or more to read. A way to have change notices sent, not only to email, but directly to committee members phones would really help to expedite processes - not only for us, but I imagine most companies in general.

Again, is this happening within 2018? (I am not interested in another program that would link, I am interested in a smartsheet resolution)

We really love this program, but to keep up with the future of technology, remote work locations, etc. an SMS seems only logical.

Thanks!

• David Johnson
    Options

Definitely add my vote to the desire for an SMS function.  We are using process flows to engage other areas of our business and keep them informed when operational issues occur.  This is working really well but we've pretty much hit our limit in terms of people with readily available email or smartsheet apps.  To go further (eg truck drivers and maintenance people) we need to have the option of using SMS as well.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One thing you're up against with the text messages is the format of the alerts.  TXT messages (even MMS) are inherently small, simple, and with very little formatting.  In order to conquer that inherent minimalist architecture, you would have to somehow declare to Smartsheet exactly what field you want sent as a TXT message... and the field would have to be simple text... and Smartsheet would have to put in a new feature which modifies an existing feature (alerts).

...That's a lot of variables.

A common workaround with some systems is to send the email to the person's phone in the form of a text.  For example, you can send an email to a person using AT&T by using the email format  1234567890@mms.att.net - assuming that their 10digit phone number was 1234567890.

Sadly though, I just tried testing this by setting up an alternate email address on one of my accounts and trying to add it to the user.  Smartsheet expects you to confirm the change by clicking on a link in the email - which should have arrived at my phone but never did - so you can't use the workaround here crying

So... back to the Smartsheet team.

• LisYipes
    Options

Please, also add my vote!

I'd love to be able to send text messages to clients for approval requests, confirmations, etc...

Thanks!

Lis

This discussion has been closed.