Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can If-Then formula populate Primary column?

Pam Tadsen
Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I need to populate the information in the primary column from a dropdown menu but cannot because of the type of column. If I place a column next to it with the dropdown information, can I use an If-Then formula such as =IF(ISTEXT([Client name drop down list]1), "Text", "Not Text") where I change the "Text" to equal whatever text is actually populated into the field?

Comments

• Yes, as long as the final output is a text or number.

I do it all the time to merge my proj. task numbers with the task name and another team's task number (if available).

• Pam Tadsen
    Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great, thank you! When I use the formula in my original query, however, it merely populates the primary column cell with the word "text" rather than the text of the cell next to it. (Basically, I want it to copy the information that appears in the adjoining cell.)

• Pam Tadsen
    Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, sometimes I overthink things. What I finally figured out was formulas101... if I just use this formula =[Client name drop down list]1 - the cell in the primary column copies the exact information in the column next door (where the drop down information resides). Doh! 

This discussion has been closed.