Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Prioritize/sort rows (possible feature request)

Stian Totland
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

It is possible to drag 'n drop rows to change their order, but if you order by some column this "index order" is lost. I need some way to prioritize rows, with the most important at the top. I can do this by adding a column of type number, and manually enter the index for each row, but this is rather cumbersome.

What I need is some autonumbering system that updates an (could be hidden) index column with the order of the rows, and then the ability to sort by this column later on.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stian,

When you add that hidden column, you have two options:

1. Put this formula in all cells but the first (put a "1" there)

=[RowID]23 + 1

for a column named RowID and row number 24.

This will increment the row above by 1.

This works even after you sort it on a different column, row 24 (for example) will change its reference to the new row that row 23 moved to (that is it will keep its number)

This won't work if you are adding rows in the middle or top automatically.

Sort on RowID, add row, drag or copy the formula to update the column.

2. Change column type to the Auto-Number type (Column Properties, Auto-Number/System type).

This is even less desirable for your case as it adds the next number automaticallly - so if you are only adding at the bottom, this works but adding a new row in the middlle will number it with the next in sequence.

So I guess this isn't really an option.

I have a RowID column on every new sheet I create.

It is nice to be able to "unsort" and Smartsheet does not go back past the last save.

Craig

• Stian Totland
    edited 03/14/16

Thanks, Craig, this might work!

But, I would still like this as a built-in feature. I like the ability to drag 'n drop, but what's the point if that order is "destroyed" if you do a sort. The unsort feature should be there without users having to use manual formulas.

Thanks!

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Stain, are you asking for the order number to change when you drag and drop but not when you sort?

As Craig mentioned, the Auto-Number column will automatically number each new row, in order. But this numbering will be locked to each row, even if you move the rows. You could delete the Auto-Number column then add it back to your sheet each time you rearrange rows which will re-add the numbers, starting from 1.

• Stian Totland
    edited 03/14/16

Travis, yes I could. But I would need to do this several times a day, and that is too time consuming I'm afraid.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Understood, Stian - I will submit your request to our Product team.

Just so I know the exact request, you want a column that produces an auto number which will update when you rearrange rows but not when you sort?

• Stian Totland
    edited 03/15/16

Yes! That way that column will be my "prioritization" column. My rows are tasks that have to be performed, and I need to constantly rearrange their importance. Kind of like a scrum backlog.

Thanks!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/15/16

Is the order of the rows what determines the priorization level?

Have you considered a Report instead/in addition to?

You can edit the report, it can have a different sort order than your sheet, and the columns could be limited too.

Just thinking out loud.

Craig

• Yes, Craig, I would like the order of the rows to determine the priorization level. I will have the same problem in a report: if I sort by some column (coould be any) then the (dragged) order of the rows is lost. Need a mechanisme to sort by the dragged order.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stian,

To be clear, you are wanting to have a sheet that has your desired (dragged) order, sort it using some other column, and then sort BACK to the desired order.

And you want the system to know whether you are sorting/rearranging temporarily or permanently. Or put another way, you want the system to have a current RowID and a saved RowID. And the "save" function can't be the save point.

I don't see how a feature like this will not have some manual steps.

I've been wrong before.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee

What about this:

Use your sheet and row numbers as the order of your data. As you rearrange the rows, the row numbers will update. When you want to sort, use a report instead. You can sort all you would like in the report, without changing the row order in the sheet.

With this, you have your data in the correct order with the correct numbering and you have your separate view where you can sort. 

Would that work?

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

+1 vote to having an "unsort" button Laughing.

Fortunately, I can lock the editors from sorting by locking a row or two, but it it would be nice to have an un-do for the sort, (just in case I mess up)

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭

Asana has this feature. You can:

1. Sort based on any field, then
    2. Select  "None" from the Sort dropdown and it takes you back to the way you organized the project prior to sorting.  
This discussion has been closed.