Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Workdays excluded by person option

Options

We have a need to add workdays excluded by persion option to our project sheet to accurately account for the duration.  I can see you can exclude holidays but I want to exclude days off extc.  Is there a way to do that?

Comments

• Jenny Lam
    Options

Hi Christine,

Please take a look at this blog article: https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-manage-vacation-schedules-resource-management

Hope this helps.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Christine,

I do something similiar - my hierarchy is by type (holidays, vacations, events, etc) instead of by person, but the concept is the same.

I have to deal with holidays because I work with international teams so those can't go on the project sheets.

A few problems you may run into.

The Red Meeple icon that warns you of overbooking -- it won't go away.

That is, if you look at the blog example, the person is overbooked because of something on the time-off sheet. But you'll need to remember that or try to make it go away. And I do mean try.

You can create a break in the schedule around the day off. That's cool. But then the schedule slips a day and the last day of the first part is now overlapping that day off so you'll need to shift it again.

And if you try to use Predecessors, well, then you'll need to have a linked cells and then it still might shift.

And if you do have a placeholder in the schedule sheet for the day off without Predecessors (so it does not shift), then the Critical Path functionality gets broken.

A few features that might help here:

1) an "acknowledge" button - yep, I understand that Sally is off next Tuesday but the schedule really has a day of slop in it, so we are good. Stop telling me about it. 

2) a fixed date (as in true constraint) -- this date really is a on Tuesday. Don't move it.

If you want to, let me know and give me the option of saying "no".

In my experience, the Resource Management DOES work and works well. But you need to play with it to understand what it is telling you and when and decide how much effort you want to invest to make that little Red Meeple go away.

Because he always comes back.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.