Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Repeating rows based on one cell value

Beth
Beth
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am try to go from a proposal to a detail sheet for our business. We make doors and you can have from 1 to about 100 or more of one type of door. On the proposal it is only shown as one line with a quantity cell. Now what I want to do it link that to a detail sheet, the sheet that will go to production, and list those doors by type but individually.

Example:

Proposal -

Type A         1980 x 810  HC   Single Hung    Qty:   2     $100.00ea    Total: $200.00

Detail Sheet -

D01      Type A         1980 x 810  HC   Single Hung      $100.00

D02     Type A         1980 x 810  HC   Single Hung      $100.00

Hope this explains it?

We currently have this all on excel and have a macro to do this but there are a few things on Smartsheet that I think will help us. So now I am trying to get it all onto smartsheet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We currently have this working on excel but i feel that some of the capabilities of Smartsheet would make it better/easier and so am wanting to see if I can get everything on smartsheet.

Comments

• Beth
    Beth
    edited 03/29/16

Forgot to mention that only parts of the row will be copied, for example the door size will but the total line value will not, and some information will be manually added in later, like the door ID's - D01 & D02.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/31/16

Beth,

In general, if you needed to write a macro to do something in Excel, something will need to be done to reproduce that functionality in Smartsheet.

Not always, but I can't think of an exception off the top of my head.

Automation is available via third party tools like Azuqua, AppSheet, and Zapier.

Self-made one can be built using the API (well documented).

For Zapier, you could likely build TWO Zaps to handle the move to the Detail sheet.

It might be pretty easy too. I would start there, depending on how often the automatiion needs to happen.

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wait, "2" is a not a fixed value. Nevermind. I'd try AppSheet or Azuqua then first unless you have someone that can build tools using the API.

Craig

• Thanks for that Mr. Williams. Much appreciated.

Had a quick glance at Appsheet and it might be just what I am wanting.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Beth,

AppSheet has a steep learning curve (in my opinion) but the rewards are so tantalizing that I keep going back.

Craig

• Have started one. It is fairly easy to pick it up from sample apps and from the community. I shall see where this takes me. Thanks for suggesting it.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/01/16

You are welcome.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.