Time Tracker

Rick Harms
Rick Harms ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am having my team track their time. I have a column for a start time and end time. Right now I am using military time )0 to 24 but I would like to know if there is a way to use normal time so my team can use 1pm to 3pm.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/15/19

Hi Rick,

Yes, it is!

I'll get back to you when I find the post.

Look here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/calculate-time-between-two-dates-days-hours-and-minutes

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a possibility of overlapping midnight such as 8pm - 4am? Will you need to track multiple days such as 1/1/19 (time) - 2/2/19 (time)?

The single task of converting 12 hour to 24 hour is actually pretty straight forward.

You would pull the hours portion of the time using this:

=VALUE(LEFT([Time Column]@row, FIND(":", [Time Column]@row) - 1))

and use a basic IF statement to add 12 to the hours if it find a "p" in the time something along the lines of:

=IF(FIND("p", LOWER([Time Column]@row)) > 0, 12, 0) + VALUE(LEFT([Time Column]@row, FIND(":", [Time Column]@row) - 1))

Now that you have converted the hours to a 24 hour clock, you can use that times 60 to convert it into minutes and add the minutes from the [Time Column].

Do this to both the Start Time and Finish Time. Once you subtract Start from Finish, you'll have the total minutes that the task took.

You can then use something along the lines of this to determine how many hours that was:

=[Difference in Minutes]@row / 60

This will give you the result of (for example) 6.5 for six and a half hours. If you would rather six and a half hours displayed as 6:30, it will take just a couple of different/extra steps.

=INT([Difference in Minutes]@row / 60)

gives you the hours.

=[Difference in Minutes]@ row - (INT([Difference in Minutes]@row / 60) * 60)

will give you the minutes.

=INT([Difference in Minutes]@row / 60) + ":" + [Difference in Minutes]@ row - (INT([Difference in Minutes]@row / 60) * 60)

would give you the result of hh:mm