Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

dealing with distant dates

Options

Hi everyone, I really need help here. My project is of the long sort (several years). I seem to have a problem with far away dates: smartsheet won't 'take' a date in 2018 (I type it or select it in the calender and the box goes blank). 

My other question is: how do I hides dates (I don't need the next few months on the GANTT Charts)?

Thanks a million for your guidance!

PS: it's super urgent!

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anne-Lise,

Are you sure that's the problem and not something else? 

I can make it: 

I don't know why it doesn't work for you (and that whether you can hide months on the Gantt-chart or not). I do hope, however, that you can solve these problems.

longproject.JPG

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anne-Lise - I can enter dates far in the future both using the calendar and by typing them and do not experience your problem. What is the formatting of your column/cells? column properties?

• Thanks guys! Indeed you were right: it was something else. I am starting both with Smart Sheets and with GANTT charts, so I'm going up a steep learning curve. The problem came from the fact that I was trying to set a date (distant, but that was not the issue) for a task which was a dependent on another task, whose date I had not yet defined. That was the issue! (I was planning backwards, but that is not how Smart Sheet works).

Thanks again!

Anne-Lise

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anne-Lise 

You can build a schedule backwards.

It isn't always as easy as this makes it seem:

https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-work-back-schedule

but it works.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.