Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How can I change permissions of a sheet within a Worskpace without changing permissions of the entir

Megan Wray
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a sheet that I want to retain sole editing rights to, and allow others to view.

I shared it to a project workspace. However, now that sheet matches the sharing permissions of the entire workspace, and when I try to change them, I get a message "this will change the user's permissions to the entire workspace." 

How can I keep a sheet within a workspace, so all project sheets are all together, but assign permissions different than the entire workspace?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible, but it is ugly.

If the person is shared to the workspace, then their permissions are for everything IN the workspace. You can't have a "default" permission of Viewer but give them Admin provileges for only one sheet, for example.

However, a user NOT shared to the workspace could be given access to everything IN the workspace with different permissions for each - as long as they are only shared to sheets and not the workspace.

And you could do that for every person and every sheet.

Only the workspace Owner would have be shared at the workspace level.

Everyone else, one at a time, shared to the sheets and reports.

Ick.

But possible.

You could make this a little more palatable by sharing by Group instead of individual

(so for 20 sheets and 20 users, you could perhaps only have 4 groups and so only need to share 80 times instead of 400)

Still Ick.

But only 20% Ick.

Craig

• I would suggest using the publish option as an alternative as well instead of sharing.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.