Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How do I autofill a formula to new rows that will be added via a web form?

Options
Sean B
Sean B
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi, 

I'm trying to have a formula autofill as new rows are entered into a project list sheet. I know smartsheet has an autofill formula feature, but I'm not sure how to use it. Is it an automatic thing by default, because if that's so, my formulas from the rows above are not autofilling in new rows created. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thank you,

Sean B

Comments

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Sean-- Smartsheet does have the ability to auto-fill formulas and formatting in your sheets, however it will only do so under the conditions outlined here: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/1641473.

Basically, you'll want to make sure you have the formulas you want to auto-fill in at least two rows above or below the new row. If you're inserting new rows from a web form into the bottom of the sheet, you'll need to have the formulas entered in at least two rows in the sheet before seeing them applied to web form entries.

To test this, try entering your formulas in the first row of your sheet, then drag-fill them down a few rows and enter some test data. Then, submit a dummy web form entry to see if the formulas are added to the newly submitted row. Let me know how this works for you.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kennedy,

Please can you either get your help article updated to say that when adding a row to the bottom of a sheet that is using Hierarchy’s, and the preceding 2 or more rows are child rows; it will not copy the formulas down when added via a Web form. Alternatively get the app fixed so that it does.

If you add new rows manually it will copy the formula.

This discussion has been closed.