Formula to Change Harvey Ball Color Based off of a Word

Athena Hathaway
Athena Hathaway ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I've seen so many examples of "Nesting IF" formulas for changing a Harvey Ball to a different color based off of multiple numeric or date scenarios. What I haven't come across is a way to change the ball color based off of verbiage:

Example: I change a cell to Rejected and the ball turns Red. I change the same cell to approve, and the ball turns green.

I have four status' (Pending Approval, Returned, Approved, Rejected) that I'd like to automatically drive the color change of the Harvey Balls (Blue, Yellow, Green, Red).

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure your column type is set to "symbol" with the RYGB ball type by right-clicking on the column header and editing the properties. Then try this formula. If your status column is titled something different then use that title instead... 

=IF([email protected] = "Pending Approval", "Blue", IF([email protected] = "Returned", "Yellow", IF([email protected] = "Approved", "Green", IF([email protected] = "Rejected", "Red"))))

• Athena Hathaway
    Athena Hathaway ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for responding. My column is set to the RYGB ball symbol. I tried your formula and replaced the "Status" with my actual column name "Approval Status One". However, it returned the dreaded #UNPARSEABLE. Did I add my column name in the wrong spot? Thank you again for your guidance. 

=IF(Approval Status [email protected] = "Pending Approval", "Blue", IF(Approval Status [email protected] = "Returned", "Yellow", IF(Approval Status [email protected] = "Approved", "Green", IF(Approval Status [email protected] = "Rejected", "Red"))))

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Athena,

Try enclosing your column names in square brackets. [ ]

Did it work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Athena Hathaway
    Athena Hathaway ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The brackets worked!!! Thank you all for your help! :)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Happy to help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely! As Andree suggested you'll want to use brackets whenever referencing columns that have a space in them or end in a number. 

• So i have tried some of the suggetions above, but instead of the color changing, it just changes it to text.  

=IF([email protected] = "complete", "red")

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lesmickin

Capitalize the R in Red.

=IF([email protected] = "Complete", "Red")

@almrie

Can you list out each of the 17 stages and what they should populate?

thinkspi.com

• ALMF
    ALMF
    edited 01/02/20

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@almrie I received an email notification that you had replied, but when I come to the post to see your comment there is nothing there and it says "edited".

thinkspi.com

• Yes, an admin moved this topic to another thread. Apologies, I'm new to this community and I'm not sure where to comment when the topic has been split. Below is what I replied originally:

NEED INFO, Empty

ASSIGN, Empty

BRIEF RECEIVED, Quarter

PRE-PRODUCTION, Quarter

PRODUCTION, Half

APPROVAL, Three Quarter

REVISIONS, Three Quarter

REVIEW, Three Quarter

SFX/GFX, Half

DELIVERED, Full

KILLED, Empty

LEGAL, Three Quarter

N/A, Empty

RFD, Three Quarter

HOLD, Empty

TBD, Empty

QC, Three Quarter

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@almrie

Since an admin moved it to another thread, I will respond there.

thinkspi.com

• I need help with the formula for my sheet. I need the symbol to change color if I change the status.

In progress = blue

Complete = green

Ongoing = yellow

Need confirmation = red

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jennifer Cosgrove Try something like this...

=IF([email protected] = "In Progress", "Blue", IF([email protected] = "Complete", "Green", IF([email protected] = "Ongoing", "Yellow", "Red")))

thinkspi.com

• I love the solution and I am wondering if anyone can help me further it one step, I need the colors to be "red" if the status (in my case state) is not finished and the end date has passed.. im not quite sure how to formulate.. I have this so far and works as planned but I need to add the second part

=IF([email protected] = "Complete", "Green", IF([email protected] = "Not Started", "Blue", IF([email protected] = "In Progress", "Yellow")))