Timestamping

07/30/19 Edited 12/09/19

Hello.

Is there currently anyway to do timestamping in Smartsheets? 

For instance, timestamping a cell when a tick box cell is ticked?

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• Hi,

Yes I've been very interested in this too. I'm trying to freeze a date cell that keeps up to date with TODAY(), when I tick a checkbox cell to say a task is complete - thereby keeping a record of date completed. Only problem is the workaround solutions I've been able to find only work if you don't modify anything else in the row after you tick the box... i.e. last modified date columns.

This is a pretty sore point for me, hopefully someone's working on an update!

Grace

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrew & Grace,

Zapier is a great option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

Smartsheet is also working on enhancing the time functionality. 

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Richard Rymill SBPRichard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭

Andrew & Grace. if the system column that denotes when a row was last changed and by whom, is not enough for you? ... and the ability to use "Cell History" to get what you need is not enough for you? and you want a timestamp on a single cell then you can have it. 

A number of our clients need this level of Timestamping of a single cell so our API development team created that solution as part of our Smarter Mini Control Center (SMCC) package. There is a subscription cost to recover our costs and coupled with the rest of the features and automations in SMCC it is proving very popular with solutions like Hot backups and Project initialiser most popular.  

Smarter Mini Control center info here..

a free initial consultation and demo available on request. 

[email protected] 

• Hi Andree

With regards to enhancing time functionality, does Smartsheets have a timeline for this? And will this include the timestamping function that Andrew and Grace mentioned above?

Our organisation is very interested in this function as it will allow to track historic 'on time delivery' and from what I can find people have been requesting it on forums since 2017. 

The issue we have with the Zapier work around is that our organisation is not comfortable with using such an add on and would prefer to keep all our activities within the SmartSheets platform across our sites.

We have submitted Enhancement requests to Smartsheets on this issue as well hoping for this single function.

If there is any more information you could provide it would be most helpful

Many Thanks

Jesse

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/01/19

Hi Jesse,

My guess is that Smartsheet will publicly unveil it at this years Engage conference in about two months at the latest.

Zapier is an excellent service/integration and I highly recommend it. 

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.