Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Custom View on Grid/Gantt

Tony Coleman
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Often when I setout a new schedule layout I end up with a number of columns either auto- calculating, which I subsequently hide, or tracking finance, progress, comments etc and the view is busy...    I'd love to be able to Save custom views,   so I can select chosen columns to view.

IE.  Custom View 1 - Finance.  Shows me the task name, cost, budget variance only.

Custom View 2 - Progress.   Shows task name, blockers, risk status % complete

I use this feature a lot in Google sheets and would be beneficial here as well.

Otherwise each time I have to hide and unhide.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why not use Reports for that purpose Tony? 

Regards

RichardR

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tony,

Are you just using those Custom Views to only view and not update anything?

If that is the case, you could set up 2 reports with just the columns on them that you want. The reports are live, so if the sheet is updated, the report is updated as well.

Maybe that would work for you in this case. Just an idea.

Peace!

• Tracy Helms
    Tracy Helms ✭✭✭

This has been requested quite a few times and we would like it as well.

The reason it would be beneficial is because row hierarchy is not visible in reports.

• Thanks for the update guys, I was hoping to be able to edit as I go, depending on the meeting it will be a finance meeting and I could filter to the finance view with the accountant and update.  then next meeting with the resource manager I can hide the irrelevant finance fields (as he won't be interested in those).   I can do it manually, but it's a useful feature to have a custom view/favourite view.

can this be promoted as a feature request?

Thanks again.  

• Hi Tony-- Just to confirm, if you have editing rights on a sheet, you can edit the content of a Report! Just type into a cell or select from dropdowns like you normally would in your sheets. Then you can just have both reports open, either in the same browser tab or in different tabs/browsers.

• will get on it, thanks again both.  this should do it just fine.

thanks

Tony

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think the confusion arises because the word Report give the impression of something that is dead and a snapshot in time, whereas Smartsheet Reports are alive and could be better described as Filtered Editable Views of one or more different sheets. Anyone who hasnt explored Reports should do so, to understand the power of them in a workflow. 

Goodluck. 

RichardR 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, not all cells can be updated from a Report, most things associated with project dependencies, for example.

But, yes, if you don't have too many Reports, you probably don't have enough.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.