Date is Within the Next 5 Days

Options
@emipathy
@emipathy ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Smartsheet Community,

I'm authoring a production schedule and one of the columns automatically populates status (complete, in progress, not started) based on a formula. 

For a specific row, I need it to display "In Progress" if the start date is within the next 5 days. 

Is this the correct formula for this? 

=IF([Start Date]34 < TODAY(+5), "In Progress", "Not Started")

Note: I've simplied this formula as if there were no other "IF" statements for example purposes. 

I'm having an incredibly hard time wrapping my head around this-- I've never been good with dates! Let me know if you have any tips. 

Cheers, 

Emi

Comments

• Connor Hartford
    Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes this is the correct formula.

Another way to make the formula more efficient is to include '@row' instead of the row number.

=IF([Start Date]@row < TODAY(+5), "In Progress", "Not Started")

Connor Hartford

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a tip for working with dates. Keep the YEARDAY function in mind. This assigns a number to the date depending on how far into the year said date is. SO January 1 would be the 1st day, February 1 would be 32nd day in the year, so on and so forth.

If you are having trouble visualizing it, then put the function somewhere on the sheet.

=YEARDAY([Column Name]@row)

You can then enter a date (or date generating formula) into the cell being referenced by the YEARDAY function and see where it falls in relation to the other dates in the sheet.

For example:

=YEARDAY([Start Date]@row)

will give you the corresponding number.

You can then plug in 

=YEARDAY(TODAY(5))

and make sure that is giving the expected result of being larger or in the future as compared to the Start Date.

So let's say your Start Date is 1 October 2019, and you want to see if that is in the next 5 days or less than today + 5.

=YEARDAY(DATE(2019, 10, 01))

yields 274

while 

=YEARDAY(TODAY(5))

yields 252 (based on the date of this post).

So now your formula can be read as 

=IF(274 < 252, "In Progress", "Not Started")

I hope all of that makes sense. I accidentally stumbled on that line of thinking, and it just clicked for me.

• @emipathy
    @emipathy ✭✭✭
    Options

This helps out so much-- completely gets rid of my issue of wondering what dates are "greater than" or "less than" others. 

This will definitely help me visualize going forward! Thank you!