Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Attachment previews

Options

I am wondering if there is any plan to add attachment previews as an option so that users have the ability to download just the document they may need from among others. 

Tags:

Comments

• Jeremy Myers
    Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Victor,

I store my files in Box (not DropBox) and link them into Smartsheet.  Upon single clik on the file name, the Box viewer is invoked and pops right up.  If you have a fast internet connection, this is almost instant.  I also rename the link when I bring it into Smartsheet so that I have a good idea what to look for and can usually locate the correct file within a couple of keystrokes.

A plug for Box - it's miles ahead of DropBox, in my humble opinion.  

• Victor Cabrera
    Options

Agreed on the box functionality. Unfortunately, my query is born of a question from the numerous viewers of a set of sheets who do not share your technological saavy. In some instances, even their assistants are baffled by new technology. I guess my request is an effort to make everything a one-stop shop. 

• Jeremy Myers
    Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes understood.  Smartsheet is powerfull tool and users need to have some minimial level of tech ability so as not to "injure" themselves or others.  The fundamental tension in the product is that it's a blank slate which power users will find appealing, however that power exists because the program is not idiot proof nor can it be made so without drastic alterations to dumb it down.

Before I accept a develpment assignment from a client, I sit them down and discuss this very point and show them some of the areas that might be a little brittle if not handled properly - the row insert function being a case in point.  Another example, if they want reports to run correctly, staff has to understand that when they pull a new sheet, that they have to go to the report generator and make sure the sheet is checked for inclusion.  If that does not work for the client, then Smartsheet is not a vialble solution and we look elsewhere.

It's my hope that Smartsheet never becomes the lowest common denominator.  There are lots of other programs out there that can fill the specific needs of various user communities.

This discussion has been closed.