Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Export feature got worse since SS upgrade

Options
Mario K M
Mario K M
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

One of the nice features of SS was the option of including the comments when exporting say to Excel.  The exported file has all the comments in a seperate Excel tab.  But it still referenced the "Primary" so you can match each row in your SS (1st tab in the Excel export) with the comments.

A few weeks ago, there was an update that broke that link.  Now Column A in the Comments tab only references some generic row like "Row 1" or "Row 2".

That now leaves one with trying to match up an Excel Row number with a Primary to know Primary matches with what comments.

Why was the change made?  What is required now to reference the Primary instead of a generate row number?

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 09/14/16
    Options

Hi Mario—In the retired Discussions feature, Discussions often had titles that used  default information from Primary column.

Now that we've changed over to the Comments feature, which doesn't use titles, this Primary column information doesn't appear on the Excel export.

I'll pass your feedback along to our Product team for the Primary column info to be included in the Comments page on the Excel export. As a potential workaround, you might consider copying and pasting the Primary column in your first comment, using line breaks (shift + enter) to make it look more like a title.

• Mario K M
    Options

Thanks, maybe in future updates one can turn on the feature where the comments list out the primary column via an option (like the option to print page number).

I'll try the copying and pasting the primary column.  That will help on new rows.  I wonder if I can edit older discussions to add the primary in the first comment.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Kara Lumley
    Options

Thanks Mario and Shaine. I've just confirmed with our Product team that adding the text back in is on our backlog.

This discussion has been closed.