Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula to move a row to another sheet?

Options
Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Good morning,

I'm hoping I can formulate a column so that if the checkbox is checked, it will move that row to another specified sheet.

Can this be done?

If column A is checked, move to Sheet B is the basics, but formulas always mess with me.

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Loann,

Dno't know of any way this can be done with a formula.  We have some developers here who are .net programmers and have used the SS APIs to move rows from one sheet to another.  The only ways I know of are manually or by a tool such as Azqua.

Good to hear from you! hope all is well. 

Tim

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Tim! Manual it shall be - or I'l teach them all about the filter option. ;-)

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Loann Tim is right but to add.... 

What you describe can be done fairly easily using Zapier. That will not MOVE but will COPY that row to another sheet creating a NEW ROW in the landing sheet. 

What might be just easier?... is when in the Row you wish to MOVE, highlight the row and Right Click "Move to another sheet" and you can MOVE several at one go, after a filter or a sort. Would that be easier?

Hope that helps

RichardR  

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do the latter - I was asked if it can be automated, which I didn't think was the case (at least not easily). And for the sheet we're working from, it isn't cumbersome in the least to manually select the row(s) and move.

Thanks, Richard!

• Stan Schultz
    Options

I did a riff on RichardR's suggestion. Completed tasks are conditionally formatted to change to light gray text with a Strikethrough style applied. This leaves them in place until I've reviewed with everyone I need to review with...

I also created a checkbox column called Archive. When I'm ready to cleaned up and move Completed Items, I check the Archive box and apply a filter so that only completed items show. I select all the completed items that I've set to archive, and use the "Move to another sheet command."

Still not automated, but make it easy do do batches.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nice one Stan, glad that works for you and the amount of manual labour is very little and compared with automation...does give you the opportunity to review the detail before archive, just in case of errors. 

If the sheer volume of this work did get too much, we can show you a way using API linkages to automate the activity but there is a cost, so if you are happy as you are that is good. 

Richardr 

This discussion has been closed.