Automation - Copy a Row: Row made changes, how to get updated on new sheet?

I have a "Copy a row" animation triggered by a cell value "Draft/Submit". Basically when I switch to "Submit," the entire row will be copied to a new sheet.

My question is: If I make some changes on the row, how to make updates on the new sheet?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/06/20

Hi Roy,

It depends on what you want to update!

It's possible to use formulas to update but if it would work depends on your specific structure!

Do you have anything that could be used as a unique identifier? What type of cells do you want to "link"?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello @Andrée Starå

I have a very similar situation.

It's a ticketing system, the master sheet includes all departments' requests. ( Shared with PMO team only to monitor and change the status of each ticket)

I have set an automation to copy each department's tickets to a new sheet (where each team can view their own tickets only).

Now I want to automatically reflect any chages happening in the master sheet to the COPY ones but without a duplication of the same ticket.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mohammed Alrehaili

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed that you can use for your use-case as well.

More info: 

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrew Watts
    Andrew Watts ✭✭✭✭

Hey @Andrée Starå,

I would love to know more details about your solution also.

I am trying to set up a 'Pre-intake sheet' that gathers data from a specific department and then after a manager approval, moves that row and info to our primary intake sheet. The primary intake sheet contains additional columns so the two sheets are added together allowing the next department to add more info before approval and control center takes over.

The key is that if information is updated / changed in the pre-intake sheet it needs to be updated and represented in the primary intake sheet also.

Can you help me in how I would set up the specific formulas for this?

Thanks in advance.