Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

External Resource Allocation

Tom Jodeit
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I use Smartsheet for Construction Scheduling and I think it would be amazing to have resource allocation for external parties or equipment.  

We need to be able to set up a project schedule that can allocate a certain number of workers on a job site to each task and then be able to forecast when a superintendent should be expecting an increase in a crew size.  

This also could be used for equipment allocation.  For example, the excavator will be used on these days for this task and then again for a separate task or concurrently showing that there's need for a second excavator.

It seems like implementation is nearly there, it would require unlocking resource management to contacts instead of only licensed users.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tom,

Resource Management is not limited to licensed users.

I have added resources for trucks, equipment, potential staff, etc... as you need.

Just create a fake email address and invite them (as a non-licensed user). 

truck01@fakeemail.com

The email does not need to be accepted to a start assigning them tasks and having them show up in the resource views.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• Hi Craig,

I can only see licenced users in my Resource View. Yes, you can assign tasks in plans to non-licensed users but when creating a resource view selecting by project or resources, non-licensed users are not visible. 

This is my understanding as per Tom's comment or am I missing something?

Regards

Jacky

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jacky,

I see all users in my account. 

I have a team account with 3 licensed users.

There are more than 3 users shown on my Resource View.

I am a System Admin and a Resource Viewer.

Hae you tried updating the Resource View (that is, adding/removing a user)?

I'm stumped.

Craig

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jacky and Tom

If you are not system admins you will not be able to add unlicensed users (or any users) . If you are Admins then Account/User management/ add user / Do not tick any boxes. They will, as Craig says, become viewable as resources. Very useful workaround which makes lots of opportunities for managing your resources, be they a conference room, a digger .... as Craig says. 

RichardR 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah that is the piece I was missing.

Thanks Richard.

Craig

• Thanks Richard. Mystery solved.

• Thank you all.  Very helpful stuff here.  I've got it working and look forward to making use of resource views.

This discussion has been closed.