How do I set SmartSheet to include attachments on the emails that it sends from automation?

Options
124»

Answers

• Chris Kleinheksel
    Options

Ok - I cam up with an even better option.... the option above only includes attachments attached the same day as the workflow trigger.

In my case, We collect attachments over a period of time. So, I set up a workflow to copy the row to a new sheet - when you are ready to send the attachments, in my case when the status is complete.

When the row is copied to a new sheet, the sheet sees tee the row and the attachment(s) as an addition. The addition will trigger the workflow I created in the new sheet. Workflow: Anytime a cell changes alert someone, then use the 'Links to sheet and specific fields" option. Be sure to select "An Attachment" to pull in all attachments in the row into the email as attachments.

• bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭
    Options

I am trying to do the same thing here as others; however, I am also trying to work within an approval workflow. Here's the order of events: A form completed with attachment included by requester. Approval email to approver triggered by new line on sheet. Each line has an attachment. I can't get the attachment to be included in the approval request automated email. I do not have "Attachment" in my advanced options. I only have the following.

Please help.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bmarie320 You would need to set the trigger to be when something is attached to the row. To include the attachment in the automation, you would select it down lower where it says "Message includes all fields".

• bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭
    Options

Those are the settings I currently have:

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bmarie320 if you click on where it says "Message includes all fields", you should be able to change it to specific fields and then make sure attachments (and any other field you want included) is checked off.

• Jacob Minnich
    Jacob Minnich ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/23
    Options

I'm having the same issue as others - I want Smartsheet to actually attach the file to the email, not include a link to download the attachment. I need a way to get an attachment down out of Smartsheet so Microsoft Power Automate can grab it and process it. There are no triggers or actions in Power Automate that allow it to access attachments in Smartsheet, so I need Smartsheet to push the attachment out to email.

Any thoughts on how to get the actual attachment instead of a download link?

• bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/23
    Options

@Jacob Minnich Yes. That's exactly what I am needing to do as well.

@Paul Newcome None of the solutions suggested are working.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bmarie320 and @Jacob Minnich

Ah. I didn't realize you were wanting the actual attachment as opposed to a link. Unfortunately Smartsheet isn't capable of doing that, but I can definitely see the benefit.

Take a look through the product enhancement requests. If you find a suggestion that fits what you are looking for, vote on it to let Smartsheet know you are interested in the feature. If it has not been submitted, you (only one needs to submit and the other can vote) can submit the idea yourself to allow other to vote on it.

• Jacob Minnich
    Jacob Minnich ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I found via Google search that the API can extract attachments. Might be an option, but that's way over my head at the moment.

• bmarie320
    bmarie320 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that! That's a direction I can explore.

• chelseaPSF
    Options

Hi @Felicia Wilson,

I did manage to get it to do this!

My starting goal was to use Smartsheet to create L&I Employer Job Description Forms when an employee at my company is injured, rather than keeping a full library of various Word templates (ugh) for different job titles and injuries. I created a fillable pdf from my blank Word template, set up a column in Smartsheet for each form field, and created a document mapping. Then I created a Smartsheet Form to collect the data rather than plugging the info into each of the dozens of columns I ended up with.

Ideally, I wanted to receive my finished pdf at the time I click Submit on the form:

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get that to work. BUT I did manage to get it to do this using a combination of 2 Workflows!

Workflow #1:

Workflow #2:

End Result:

A couple notes:

1. These Workflows required using a couple "helper" columns: "Created" and a custom one I named "File Output Name".
    2. I’m the only person using this tool, making it easier to keep it simple.
    3. The workflows could probably (?) be combined, but once I had #1 working, I didn’t want to potentially mess it up, so I created #2.
    4. After I submit the Form, it takes a few seconds to receive the email; I needed to be a little more patient during my troubleshooting to avoid thinking something hadn’t worked.

Hope this helps!

Chelsea