Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Counting checkboxes

Hello,

I am counting the children of selected check boxes and then seting a ball color with formula bellow:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp15:Comp17), 0) = 2, "", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp15:Comp17), 0) = 1, "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp15:Comp17), 0) = 0, "Green")))

This works fine but, when I have more than three checkboxes the formula gets complicated.  

Is there a way to evaluate the following case:

if the result of Comp25:Comp35 = 0 the ball is Green, if the result of Comp25:Comp35 = 10 there is no ball, but if the result of Comp25:Comp35 is different than 0 or 10 the ball is red.

Thank in advance

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That works? I would have said it wouldn't.

Testing shows it always green, unless I  copied it wrong.

Regardless,

Pardon me but let me clarify your first formula

3 checkboxes

- if 3 are checked, green

- if 2 are checked, red,

- else blank

(you are counting the unchecked ones and I'm in non-work mode - so I might be confused)

now you want to expand on that to a row 11 rows (Comp25:Comp35) is eleven rows, not 10. I'm going to assume that is just an oversight.

and what you want is

for N number of checkboxes (as you've discovered, restricting yourself to three got you here in the first place*)

- if all are checked, green

- if none are checked, blank,

- else red

Is that is correctly clarifying things -- here it is:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp40), 1) = 0, "Red", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp40), 1) = COUNT(CHILDREN(Comp40)), "Green", ""))

or more legibly:

=IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp23), 1) = 0, "", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Comp23), 1) = COUNT(CHILDREN(Comp23)), "Green", "Red"))

for row 23

so - check for 0 check boxes checked - blank

then check if they are all checked (by comparing the checked ones with the total count of them) - green

otherwise red.

Does that work?

Craig

* I've been known to take short cuts - why overcomplicate things on a simple 3 check box problem? - but as soon as I need to modify (because of a bug or changing requirements), I try to catch more edge cases to avoid me having to come back and solve the same problem again.

Expanding your formula from 3 to 11 (or 10) puts me in the mode of "N checkboxes" instead of 11 (or 10)

• That definitely helped!

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.