Upcoming changes to our automated notifications - live today 17th April 2020

Answers

• One more comment to this string. I was recently given ownership of a smartsheet, created by a person who has just left the company. By changing ownership, it did not change the person being identified in the 'from' email (Person's Name via SmartSheet) and this person is still being listed as the contact.

Thank you, Evelyn

• I'm newer to utilizing automations in smartsheet. The lack of ability to change who update requests are sent from is troubling. I push to keep smartsheet in use at my organization and get roped in to developing workspaces, etc for other people frequently. I was excited to bring automations to the table but now, like others in this thread, I'm in the middle of people thinking I own the process and requests being sent from automations.

I sent feedback via the link in a previous comment. Hoping it gets addressed soon for the sake of everyone in this thread!

• Kate_
    Kate_ ✭✭✭✭

I'm having the same problem as @E.DiMarco , I've re-assigned ownership of the sheet / workspaces but I'm still getting people contacting me because they have received an automation they believe has come from me. I'd like to know how to take my name of these without having to change my name in the Smartsheet to "Do-not Reply".

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. - This problem has been with us for TWO years!! Smartsheet has released a bunch of new features, most of which have absolutely no value to many of us, but Smartsheet cannot address this very common problem we all deal with multiple times a day??

I'm retiring in early June and would love to see Smartsheet return to the responsive philosophy it had in the early days (we are users since 2011) of listening to all customers, not just the super big ones.

• This is super annoying for us as well. As the CEO of the company, and owner of many sheets, it's ridiculous that the automation emails come from me. Really not cool.

• Echoing what it feels like the consensus is here. The ability to add/change the name and the email address that an automated task sends as is what is forcing us to delay the rollout of department specific forms.

We are planning to use the forms to create daily shift reports across many different departments. As it stands now, anytime a report is filed, the email that goes out says its from me, the creator/owner. I have no direct interaction with some of these departments and if a staff member doesn't "Reply All" the response it will come to me. This will further delay the flow of communication we are working to improve between different shifts.

The suggestion of creating an additional paid account to be the owner of forms is not feasible for this. Following that suggestion would require adding an account for each department and a large expense to "send and email".

Thank you for listening to my concerns, and I remain hopeful that it doesn't fall to the wayside.

• Wow, this is quite a thread.

Smartsheet...really? No official functionality on this front?

As someone who has been building Smartsheet systems for my organization for the past two years, whose personal email is smattered across hundreds of automated messages sailing out all over the place, this is one of those rare but frustrating moments when I throw my hands up at a truly bizarre gap in the platform's capabilities. I'm a diehard Smartsheet fan, but there are those moments where all you can do is say, "Seriously!?"

• Olli Matikainen
    Olli Matikainen ✭✭✭✭

Adding my vote to this request - we send automated notifications to customers, and it is definitely not professional when the email sender address is a person in our organization...!!!

We need to have the option of specifying a 'generic' user so that when a notification is received by someone outside our organization, it not a specific person in our organization.

• TomG
    TomG ✭✭✭✭✭

We are expanding our use of Smartsheet and automations at my company and have now hit this problem head on. The solution we are testing right now would be something that would be used across multiple teams and projects across the company.

Not having a viable option for this issue will prevent the uptake of the solution by other teams. I will fill out the survey on the previous page of this thread and will submit an enhancement request as well.

I really hope something can be implemented soon. As many other have indicated, the impact of this issue is quite significant and will actually add non-value work to any process as folks that need help will reach out to the wrong person, or the notifications are ignored. This will have a negative impact on the ROI as well as a poor user experience for those receiving the notifications.

Smartsheet, the business impacts of this issue are very real, it is not merely an inconvenience for the sheet owners. Please move this up higher on the priority list and provide a viable option to toggle back to the old behavior or use the new one. That would at least empower us to make a decision on which option to use.

Thanks!

• I can't believe this is still not addressed. I have been working hard to advocate adoption. All the traction I have made is being undone by this simple stupid issue.

• MKa
    MKa
    edited 12/23/22

Adding to this thread, my team also finds this option misleading and just not good.

An option to either select:

• Sheet Owner
    • Sheet Name

would be way more optimal way for email alerts/notifications.

I do not know how complicated it is from a programming perspective, but it sounds simple enough? As I understand before 2020 the alerts were not sent by the sheet owner.

• Phil E
    Phil E ✭✭✭✭

This definitely needs to be corrected. I have created a ticket system for my company, and now all notifications will appear to come from me personally. There needs to be an option to select or change the name that is being displayed.

• Rocky
    Rocky ✭✭✭

Adding my vote to this thread! Not only should the owner's name be removed from the emails, they should also contain "do not reply" in either the email address or as part of the subject.

Thank you very much,

YCRock

• Frank B.
    Frank B. ✭✭✭✭✭

@susanpapali I just filled out your survey (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/b3762f44bbed474a87467e925843fa25) what was the outcome of this? You posted this 1/21/22 so am hopeful that there was a next step.

Thanks,

Frank

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Frank B.

Yes, there's an update! The Product team has been working on different possibilities regarding sender names and are currently testing out a feature in the Early Adopter's Program.

Feel free to Vote on this Product Idea and you'll receive a notification when the Status changes:

Cheers,

Genevieve