Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives
The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.
Hi there SmartSheet Community,
We are using an existing system for job management and for accounting, and have introduced SmartSheet for the management of project plans. In order to meet the requirement for consolidated reporting of project financials and capacity, we have carried out a deal of augmentation around SmartSheet. Data are extracted from our job management/account system and from SmartSheet, and these are fed into Excel workbooks for health checking, capacity planning, project time analysis and project financial analysis (all of which are vital management tools).
The key additions to SmartSheet were to:
· Create a master template from which every plan sheet is created so that every plan sheet has the same structure of locked rows and locked columns (to prevent formulas from being modified by non-admin users).
· Automatically nominate whether a row is a Deliverable, Milestone, Task or Comment by inspecting the value of the Duration field and determining whether the row has child rows beneath it.
· Automatically calculate the status of a task (i.e. Not Due To Start, Not Yet Started, In Progress Early, In Progress, Overdue, Completed Recently, Completed or Unscheduled) from its start date, end date and today’s date.
· Automatically calculate cost budgets based on who is assigned to a task and how must effort is estimated for that task (and then total these budgets up for the whole plan).
· Validate all data being entered to pick up errors (e.g., the percentage complete on a milestone may only be blank or the numbers 0% or 100%).
I’m wondering who else out there is doing something similar so that we may be able to share ideas…