How can I add dividers in my dashboard?

Hello,

I was hoping there would be a way to add dividers in my dashboard. Sharing the dashboard with our ELT, it could be easier to separate categories with line dividers that take up 1 square.

Thank you,

Paige

Answers

• Hi Paige,

What if you added a Title Widget, but made it very thin and long? You could colour it, too. In my example I've made it grey:

Great thing about a title widget is that you could add text as well!

Here are some articles that may help as you continue to build your dashboard:

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/20

Hi @Paige Borchardt

To add to Genevieve's excellent advice.

I have a Dashboard with dividers that I've collected.

I'd be happy to share it. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bumping this. Specifically vertical dividers are needed. Sure you can cheat and use a text box to create a horizontal "line" or divider, but it's automatically lat least 2 squares tall (really need it to be one square tall). And all widgets are forced to be at least 6 squares wide! so you can't create a vertical divider.

I did email Andree for a look at his dashboards :)

• Hi @lauren.waters111676

Thank you for clarifying about needing vertical dividers! At this point there isn't a widget that would work for this type of divider (please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a minute).

Since Widgets do need a one-square space between them, what if you changed the background of the Dashboard to be grey instead of white? That way it would show the widgets individually and you could potentially use the background space between widgets as dividers.

Hope that helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Paul Stryer
    Paul Stryer ✭✭
    edited 06/25/21

I figured out a work around that is very easy to get a divider line

1. Add a Title Widget
    2. Make it the length you wish and 2 squares tall (that is the smallest you can get)
    3. Fill the entire box with BLANK SPACES.
    4. Highlight the whole box of blank spaces and select the color you want the bar
    5. Change the fill color to white (or match your background color )so the back ground color of the box matches the whole background color
    6. BAM you have a divider line.
  • You can also create a line in PowerPoint, save it as a picture and then add it as an image widget. You'll need to expand the line image across the dashboard and make it 2 squares high, and then remove showing the title, but at least you can add color to your dashboard and even vary the line style!

• PDunn
    PDunn ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Smartsheet comes up with some dashboard layouts that are templates that have the lines already there then you simply apply the layout you want to use and place the widgets within the template. This is very time consuming trying to get these just right. I am all for customizing, but having a template layout would be fabulous to be able to create dashboard more quickly.

• Yes, lines would be nice. Arrows and connectors too! Am I right @PDunn? Real, interactive flow charts would be amazing on a dashboard.