Nested IF/OR Contains Function

Hi,

I'm trying to write a CONTAINS formula to auto-populate the project location column. There are 6 states to choose from. The Project Name is usually very long & descriptive but always contains the standard 2 letter code for the six states that the projects could be in. I came across the CONTAINS formula but cannot figure out how to write it so that it rolls through all of the options. Ex: If the Project Name column has a cell that contains "UT" it will spit out Utah in the Project Location column. If the Project Name has a WY in a cell it spits out Wyoming as the location etc. Each time I attempt to write the formula it gives me the Incorrect argument or the unparseable.

Thanks for any help!

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jennifer Greenough
    Jennifer Greenough Overachievers Alumni

One alternative would be to create a column to split the state name from the project name (since it appears you use "-" as a delimiter"). See here for a handy guide on how to split text in Smartsheet. You could then use a VLOOKUP for the state using a secondary sheet. Training on VLOOKUP is available in the Learning Center here.

This might be a bit cleaner in terms of data management and result in fewer mismatches.

Jennifer

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!