Use a Filter to hide/show/reorder columns? (Like a SQL "view")

Hi there,

Is it possible to do something similar to a SQL "view" with a sheet? I see that I can create named Filters, but these only let me change which Rows appear -- not which Columns (and not in what order).

It'd be very useful to have multiple "views" of a data set that could be targeted to different audiences who need different information.

I tried linking rows to a new Sheet and then modifying ordering, etc., in that sheet, but then when I add a new row to the source sheet it does not automatically appear in the destination sheet. Not a very good behavior. Plus, having multiple sheets is not ideal -- more sources of truth = more likelihood of things breaking, data becoming out-of-date, or people referring to different data without realizing it.

(I'm on a Government / Smartsheetgov tenant, btw.)

Thanks!

Jamie

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind...

To have access to a report that can be edited, the user(s) will need at least Viewer permissions to the source sheet(s). If you do not want the user to have access to the source data, then you can publish the report(s), but published reports cannot be edited.