How to add a row that will automatically have a determined number of child rows?

BESP10
BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have thousands of tasks that all have the same process. Each of these tasks has 5 subtasks that must always happen.

Is there a way to set it up in smartsheet that when ever we add one of these tasks it automatically generates the 5 subs tasks?

Thanks

Best Answer

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This worked, Thank you very much. Is there a way that I can add start and end dates with predeccors on this and also transfer this over so that it keeps the order?

Answers

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have tested this out and I think this will work.

You will need Sheet 1 that has the structure of the tasks.

Then create a second sheet for where you want all the tasks and their Sub Task to Appear

Then create a trigger for the first sheet where when you change the flag to red, it will copy those rows across.

You can add a different name to the top one when adding the new tasks. Change the flag to red and the second sheet will automatically update.

Example

When I save

I add another item

I guess you can add a further automation which puts the red flags on or off depending on what you do to the first one so that all of them are changed on the initial task list, that could work but I haven't spent any time working on that.

Let me know if this helps.

ATB

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This worked, Thank you very much. Is there a way that I can add start and end dates with predeccors on this and also transfer this over so that it keeps the order?

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI @Purnima Gore

For some of these scope items we only need two or three of the child rows to transfer to the new sheet with the parent row so we are only checking the red flag at those rows. But, when we go to the home sheet all the rows appear to get transferred. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you have an automation to Move Rows, it will take any Child Rows with it correct? Is that the same with Copying Rows? So really you'd only need to flag the Parent Row and all its Children would also migrate over into Sheet 2?

I have a colleague looking to do something similar, but I'm not entirely sure this will work or not. Might take a little maneuvering to get it how they want it.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jake Gustafson

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, that's correct for both Actions.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Purnima Gore @Andrée Starå

I am using this feature, but the cell formulas do not transfer with a "Copy Row" automation. Is there a way to get the formulas to transfer along with the rows?

Thanks so much for your help

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sarah_lee123

I haven't tested this but if the receiving sheet already has a column with the formula (I am assuming it is the same), then when it copies across it will create the formula for the row? I will see if I can work it out :-) Thanks for the challenge.

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Hello @Purnima Gore

Thanks so much for your response. "if the receiving sheet already has a column with the formula" is the problem here. I am trying to copy over a parent child relationship, where the parent cells have a SUM(CHILDREN()) function. This is not a column formula because I need to enter the numbers into the children cells and sum the parent cells. I am triyng to avoid having to remember to reprogram the SUM(CHILDREN()) each tome I copy a set of rows over.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sarah_lee123

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now to have the formulas transfer over to the destination sheet. The only way to ensure it works on the destination sheet is to use a column formula, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Use helper column(s) to split it into different columns and, if needed, combine them to the same again.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå Is there any way to copy ONLY the rows that are flagged? I read the above comments and see that ALL children will transfer. I am trying to only have the flagged children rows transfer instead of all of my stagged children.

Note that I am trying to transfer the parent in addition to some, but not all, of the children.

thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sarah_lee123

Yes, but you'd need to use a so-called helper sheet replicating the main one without the hierarchy.

Make sense?

Would that work?