CountIF for a multi-select drop-down

Options

Hello,

I'm using a column to track what each row requires as a next step in the project. In some cases a row will need both say "requirement A" and "requirement B", therefore I'm using a multi-select dropdown because it makes the most sense for me.

In the sheet summary tab, I want to be able to count how many rows need "requirement A" and how many rows require "requirement B" and so on for other requirements in the dropdown.

Right now I'm using a CountIF formula such as: =COUNTIF(Comments:Comments, "Requirement A") - where "comments" is the column with these requirements. However, this formula disregards any rows where more than one dropdown is selected.

I want to be able to count rows more than once: i.e. if it has both Requirement A and Requirement B selected, it would be counted both times when I make summary cells for how many rows need requirement A and how many rows need requirement B.

Is there any way to do this? I appreciate the help in advance!

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Megan P

Try using @cell in your HAS function instead of the cell to the left. You're searching the entire column ([Sections Affected]:[Sections Affected]) so you want to see if any of the cells in that column (@cell) have your value:

=COUNTIF([Sections Affected]:[Sections Affected], HAS(@cell, "Tracking"))

You'll also want to ensure that the column name is spelled exactly the same as in your sheet.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @David Joyeuse

Thanks for the guidance, it's greatly appreciated. Quick question though, what does that "@row" represent in your formulas? I'm trying to count from all the rows available on my sheet

• Megan P
    Megan P ✭✭
    Options

I have tried using this formula in a sheet where I have a similar goal, but it continues to return #UNPARSEABLE. Is there anything incorrect about this? =COUNTIF([Sections Affected]:[Sections Affected], HAS([Sections Affected]@row, "Tracking"))

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Megan P

Try using @cell in your HAS function instead of the cell to the left. You're searching the entire column ([Sections Affected]:[Sections Affected]) so you want to see if any of the cells in that column (@cell) have your value:

=COUNTIF([Sections Affected]:[Sections Affected], HAS(@cell, "Tracking"))

You'll also want to ensure that the column name is spelled exactly the same as in your sheet.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Megan P
    Megan P ✭✭
    Options

That did the trick, thanks, Genevieve! HAS is a very useful function.

• Stephanie Lapera
    Stephanie Lapera ✭✭✭
    edited 04/03/24
    Options

Edit: I was able to figure it out.

=COUNTIF(Applied:Applied, HAS(@cell, "Internship Name"))

I kept putting the column name with @cell which was giving me an error but only using @cell worked.

I am trying to count how many students applied to a specific internship and in some cases they applied to more than one internship.

I have an applied column as a multi-select type with the different internship locations as options. I am using sheet summary to tally the information. Can the HAS function be used in a sheet summary?

For single selections in the applied column the following function works great.

=Countif(applied:applied, "Internship Name")

For 2 or more selections in the applied column, neither works.

=COUNTIF(Applied:Applied, HAS(Applied:Applied, "Internship Name"))

I just a 0 but no error but I know the internship name has been selected at least 1.

=COUNTIF(Applied:Applied, HAS(Applied@row, "Internship Name"))

I get unparseable with the 2nd function which I am not surprised that I can't use @row in sheet summary.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!