Parent/Child Status

Hello,

I'm trying to get a setup going in my project templates where the parent cell will update based off the input of of the children cells. For example, the main parent is "Onboarding", with children "Licensing", "Credentialing", "DEA". Then, each of those children has their own children to track individual providers. Is there a way to have the sub-parent cells (my terminology may be incorrect) reflect the overall status of their children, and then have the main parent cell reflect the sub-parent cells? So, each children cell has options for "Not Started", "In progress", "Not Applicable", "Complete", and "Potential/Upcoming". I'd want the parent cells to reflect "Not Started" if all children show "Not Started", "In progress" if any of the children have anything other than "Not Started", and "Complete" if all children show "Complete".

I hope this makes sense and I appreciate any advice!

Best Answer

Answers

• @Genevieve P it works! Thank you SO much! I have spent literally hours trying to figure this out - turns out, I was really overcomplicating it :). Thank you, thank you, thank you! This will make my tracking SO much easier!

• Happy to help! So glad to hear it worked for you! 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!