Automated Copy a parent level row without the children

Options
Andy Vohs
Andy Vohs ✭✭✭
edited 09/28/20 in Smartsheet Basics

We have a desire to generate metrics from our multiple project backlogs (grids with parent/child hierarchy). The parent level indicates a deliverable product and that is what will drive our metric. In order to populate a grid from which to derive the metrics, I'd like to automate copying the parent row without its child rows to the grid where the calculations can be done. Does anyone know how/if this can be done...elegantly? I have at least one ridiculous possible solution, but I'd rather not share😕.

Update: I see other similar requests have been made for this capability. I'll go add my name to the list. Otherwise, if anyone knows a work-around, I'd be happy to entertain it.

Tags:

Answers

• Andy Vohs
    Andy Vohs ✭✭✭
    Options

Current work-around:

I created an automation in the landing grid that moves all rows at the lowest hierarchy (daily) to yet another grid (I named it "Garbage Can"). Then, on that grid, I set a reminder automation for me to monthly delete its contents. Definitely not very elegant, but it should only cost me about 5 minutes/month.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Andy Vohs

I presume the reason a Report is not a good option is due to certain formulas/calculations that you need to do on these parent rows, is that correct? If so, then what you have come up with seems like a good solution for now; thank you for sharing!

• Andy Vohs
    Andy Vohs ✭✭✭
    Options

That's correct. I need to derive metrics from only that hierarchical level on what is sometimes around 50 different sheets (constantly being completed day-to-day). So, this is intended to compile the current set of "deliverables" prior to deriving the metrics. Thus, can't do the report thing. Thanks for the response.

• rahul2605
    Options

@Andy Vohs how exactly do you create the automation to move all rows at a certain heirarchy? Is there a way to move all child rows except the parent row? Thanks for the response!

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@rahul2605 one option would be to introduce a helper column, which has the column formula =COUNT(ANCESTORS()). Parent rows will be zero, one level down = 1, and so on.

In your move automation, introduce a condition that excludes rows where the "level' is zero from being moved.