Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

If I lock a column, will that column move when a row is moved to another sheet?

Options
Marcy
Marcy
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I was going to create a column and lock it/and hide it - this column will hold all of my formulas. When a row is moved to another sheet, will my locked column stay put? I need to hide my formulas somewhere on my main sheet but a lot of moving is done by others and I don't want it lost.

Thanks! 

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Marcy,

If you move a row, the whole row is moved.

This includes locked and hidden columns.

I believe the hidden columns will be hidden on the new sheet, but have not done exhaustive testing.

Your formula will still be on any other rows that are not moved.

Is this a row for documentation purposes?

I'm missing some nuance here.

Craig

• Marcy
    Options

I have a bunch of formulas on my spreadsheet but rows are contuniousy added and moved from this sheet onto another one when they are complete.  Right now I put all of my formulas on the row 1000 (there shoud only be about 100 rows at any given time).. so hopefully keeping them down there will prevent them from being moved elsewhere. 

The issue is a handful of people have access and move things on the sheet, so I am trying to hide the formulas so they don't get removed.

Thank you!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, you mean like a single formula to sum or count things in the first 100 rows.

Your best bet may be to lock the row. That will keep the Editors out.

Someone else suggested using a hierarchy.

On row 999, add the row that says "Admin Do Not Touch" or just "Admin" to keep out the people that will touch it because it says not to.

Indent row 1000, and maybe they will get the message.

On a side note, I'd move them to row 199/200 or even higher.

Even blank cells have a performance impact, though it is smaller than cells with content.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.