Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sheet Name in Task Name

Options
Chuck Kahn
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Is there a way to display the Sheet Name in the Task Name or do I have type it in for each task?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chuck

Why do you need the sheet name in the task name?

(You could do it with a formula but would have to type the sheet name once)

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chuck,

I think Calendar View can only display the text that is in the Primary column.

That means you'll need a formula to build that column's data.

If you move the contents of your Primary column (maybe you have renamed it "Tasks") to a new column (name it something like Raw Tasks)

If you have somewhere to put the sheet name (like if row 1 is empty), then you could use the [Raw Tasks]1 as your permanent sheet name.

Your Primary column would then be

=$[Raw Tasks]$1 + " " + [Raw Tasks]2

for row 2 and then copy that formula to the rest of the column.

Alternatively, you could add a column (call it [Sheet Name]) and put your sheet name there. I don't like that solution because you need to keep that column filled which can pose slight problems.

(The easiest way to resolve this is to have a formula there:

="sheet name"

instead of hard-coding your sheet name.

This will at least take advantage of auto-fill for new rows, usually)

If you go that route then each Primary column's formula would match this pattern:

=[Sheet Name]1 + " " + [Raw Tasks]1

Craig

• Chuck Kahn
    Options

I'm converting a schedule table that has episodes in the row headers (101, 102, etc) and tasks in the column headers (shoot, editor cut due, director cut) and dates in the cells.  Because I can't fit all the episodes in one SmartSheet I've created a 101 sheet, a 102 sheet, etc.  Each sheet has the same task names. But for the calendar report to make sense, the task names would need the episode number appended to the task name. 

• Chuck Kahn
    Options

That's great!  I didn't know that "+" could concatenate text.

I notice the result of 

=$[Raw Tasks]$1 + " " + [Raw Tasks]2

has empty spaces padding on the left of the text.  Not a big deal but it makes the column wider.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there padding in the [Raw Tasks]1 cell?

Craig

• Chuck Kahn
    edited 02/08/17
    Options

No padding in the Raw Tasks cell.  That's what makes the padding in the Task Name cell extra-noticeable.  They are side-by-side  The first character in the Task Name cell is under the "k" in "Task".

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What do you mean side-by-side?

If you type the same text in the Primary column instead of using the formula, you should see the same behavior.

It isn't padding, the text is the Primary column is slightly shifted to the right. I think that is a feature, but I'm not sure why.

Craig

• Chuck Kahn
    edited 02/09/17
    Options

I mean that the Raw Text column is beside the Task Name column, so the indentation is easy to see by comparison with the two columns being side-by-side whereby one column is not indented and the other is indented.

This discussion has been closed.