5x5 Risk management formula

Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 10/24/20 in Formulas and Functions

Can anyone figure out what's missing in this formula to set a rating from a 5x5 risk matrix.

I copied the format from the risk assessment matrix template set that is a 4x3 matrix and modified.

=IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare", Likelihood5 = "Unlikely", Likelihood5 = "Possible", Likelihood5 = "Likely"), Consequence5 = "Insignificant"), "Low", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare", Likelihood5 = "Unlikely", Likelihood5 = "Possible"), Consequence5 = "Minor"), "Low", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Almost certain", ), Consequence5 = "Insignificant"), "Medium", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Likely", Likelihood5 = "Almost certain"), Consequence5 = "Minor"), "Medium", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare", Likelihood5 = "Unlikely", Likelihood5 = "Possible"), Consequence5 = "Moderate"), "Medium", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Likely", Likelihood5 = "Almost certain"), Consequence5 = "Moderate"), "High", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare"), Consequence5 = "Major"), "Medium", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare", Likelihood5 = "Unlikely", Likelihood5 = "Possible"), Consequence5 = "Major"), "High", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Likely", Likelihood5 = "Almost certain"), Consequence5 = "Major"), "Extreme", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Rare", Likelihood5 = "Unlikely"), Consequence5 = "Catastrophic"), "High", IF(AND(OR(Likelihood5 = "Possible", Likelihood5 = "Likely", Likelihood5 = "Almost certain"), Consequence5 = "Catastrophic"), "Extreme"))))))))))))

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Phil Wightman

I replaced the formula with @row, so you don't have to think about the row numbers.

At a glance, I think it's the bolded parts below that are the issue.

=

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Likelihood@row = "Unlikely", Likelihood@row = "Possible", Likelihood@row = "Likely"), Consequence@row = "Insignificant"), "Low",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Likelihood@row = "Unlikely", Likelihood@row = "Possible"), Consequence@row = "Minor"), "Low",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Almost certain", ), Consequence@row = "Insignificant"), "Medium",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Likely", Likelihood@row = "Almost certain"), Consequence@row = "Minor"), "Medium",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Likelihood@row = "Unlikely", Likelihood@row = "Possible"), Consequence@row = "Moderate"), "Medium",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Likely", Likelihood@row = "Almost certain"), Consequence@row = "Moderate"), "High", 

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare"), Consequence@row = "Major"), "Medium", 

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Likelihood@row = "Unlikely", Likelihood@row = "Possible"), Consequence@row = "Major"), "High",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Likely", Likelihood@row = "Almost certain"), Consequence@row = "Major"), "Extreme",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Likelihood@row = "Unlikely"), Consequence@row = "Catastrophic"), "High",

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Possible", Likelihood@row = "Likely", Likelihood@row = "Almost certain"), Consequence@row = "Catastrophic"), "Extreme")

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thanks for the help. Can you tell what the issue is with the bolded parts as these are needed as part of the 5x5.

Cheers

Phil

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Phil Wightman

Happy to help!

Yes, it's the wrong structure.

You have parenthesis and comma in the wrong position. I've bolded the areas with the errors.

Try my new ones below.

Did they work?

Old.

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Almost certain", ), Consequence@row = "Insignificant"), "Medium",

New.

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Almost certain", Consequence@row = "Insignificant")), "Medium")

Old.

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare"), Consequence@row = "Major"), "Medium", 

New.

IF(AND(OR(Likelihood@row = "Rare", Consequence@row = "Major")), "Medium")

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!