Inserting form information is a specific field

I am colleting one piece of information via a form. How can I match the information up with the primary column, so that the field for this specific row is updated?

It appears forms add information to the bottom of the sheet. I have created a separate sheet to collect the information via the form and then I am using a vlookup to insert the specific piece of information into the field, by matching up the primary column. I would like to avoid the extra step and automatically insert the specific piece of information into my field. Is that possible?

If not, within the form, can I reference the drop down from the main spreadsheet or can I only reference information within the spreadsheet, where the form lives?

Thank you very much.

Best Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Barbara Witt

In the trigger, did you specifically check the box of ANY VALUE and specify the column that will be updated? Often the words 'any value' are displayed however I have to physically check the box. Which column you designate is also important - for instance If you chose Created (date) as your column to trigger, it only changes that first time when a row is created. It is never modified after that time.

When you build automation, in addition to the triggers that are listed in the top field of the automation window, you can specific conditions that may further filter your workflow- which is probably not the problem in this case. But for future reference here's an example

If you share your automation and help us understand your workflow so we have an idea of how the triggers occur, we can help you with the automation.

Let us know what we can do to help

cheers,

Kelly

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

can you share a screenshot of the automation?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Great!! I'm very glad it you got it working - I truly know how frustrating it is when a formula or routine doesn't work as one expects. Nice job in finding it.

cheers,

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Barbara Witt

It sounds as like you're wanting to use an Update Request. An update request is used to edit existing rows and can be automated. As you noted, Forms create new rows.

You might find this information useful.

• Thanks, KDM. Yes, that's working for me. Great idea. The update request adds the update directly into the requested field, which is easier then collecting the update in another spreadsheet and then feeding it over.

I struggle with the following: When SmartSheet adds the update to the field, it's supposed to trigger an alert advising me of the change. I added an automation for "new and added rows".

It works for new rows on some of the other alerts, but it will not work for fields that are being changed. What could be the issue?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Barbara Witt

In the trigger, did you specifically check the box of ANY VALUE and specify the column that will be updated? Often the words 'any value' are displayed however I have to physically check the box. Which column you designate is also important - for instance If you chose Created (date) as your column to trigger, it only changes that first time when a row is created. It is never modified after that time.

When you build automation, in addition to the triggers that are listed in the top field of the automation window, you can specific conditions that may further filter your workflow- which is probably not the problem in this case. But for future reference here's an example

If you share your automation and help us understand your workflow so we have an idea of how the triggers occur, we can help you with the automation.

Let us know what we can do to help

cheers,

Kelly

• Yes, Kelly. I did. I just won't fire if I make a change. It will fire if a new row is being added. I just don't know what to do. So sorry.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

can you share a screenshot of the automation?

• I know that was a trick question, Kelly. LOL. When I compared the workflows, which I thought were exactly the same for iOS and Ambient, I noticed a difference. I fixed it and now both workflows are working.

Thank you for making me check my work more closely.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Great!! I'm very glad it you got it working - I truly know how frustrating it is when a formula or routine doesn't work as one expects. Nice job in finding it.

cheers,

Kelly