Tracking age in hours

Hello,

We are using Smartsheet as a ticket queue (users submit tickets via a Form) and I'm wondering if there is a way to track age in hours as well as hours between updates. For example, if we want to show how many hours it took to assign the ticket and how many hours it spent in a particular status and things like that. Also, would like to track the age of a ticket in hours when the ticket is closed the same day it was opened. I think I can use created date/time and last modified date/time to do this, but I'm not sure how to attack the other things I listed above. Thanks for your suggestions!

Answers

• Something that might be useful in this pursuit is the new automation called "Record a date". You can use it to create a datestamp when a change is made in a column, it returns the date value in a new or existing Column you assign the automation to. So if you have multiple steps in ticketing system you can create this automation for each step if you want, then simply subtract that value from the created date or the previous Record a Date automation cell and get you 'days between approval steps'. You can also make this for the ticket close date instead of the 'last modified' auto dating system because it is column specific (instead of checking is any item in that row has be modified recently)

Only issue is that I am not sure if it records that time along with the date. It would be nice if they included that in the "record a date" automation.

Hope this gives you some inspiration!

Andy W.

• Thanks, Andy! We are using that function for ticket closure but like you said it doesn't time stamp it. One of the criteria our leadership would like to have in place is that a ticket be assigned within 2 hours. Since we have a queue where the first available person should claim the ticket we have not set up any automation to automatically assign the ticket.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @slamberto

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help.

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.