Using successor links instead of predecessor links?

Does Smartsheet support using successor links? The Gantt chart visually presents successor links, but I don't seem to be able to view them anywhere as a column.

Best Answer

• Ben Goldblatt
    Ben Goldblatt Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Anne Reynolds,

There isn't a "Successors" column tied to Dependency settings in a sheet at this time, but I highly recommend Submitting a Product Enhancement Request if this is something you would like to see added on to Smartsheet.

With the current functionality when using Predecessor values on rows, this will create a visual link between the tasks in the Gantt chart. By default, when you specify a predecessor, a Finish-to-Start relationship is established between items, such that a row's task will start after the predecessor finishes. You can change this to a Start-to-Finish relationship, if needed, to have a task finish before a designated predecessor task starts. If you click on the pencil icon in a cell within the Predecessors column on your project sheet, this will open the Edit Predecessors window where you can set the type to a different setting.

More information on these Predecessor settings can be found in the Enable Dependencies and Use Predecessors Help article from our Learning Center. If you're interested in setting up a "workback" schedule with Start-to-Finish relationships, take a look at the Project with Hard Deadline and Gantt template from the Solution Center.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Ben

Answers

• Ben Goldblatt
    Ben Goldblatt Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Anne Reynolds,

There isn't a "Successors" column tied to Dependency settings in a sheet at this time, but I highly recommend Submitting a Product Enhancement Request if this is something you would like to see added on to Smartsheet.

With the current functionality when using Predecessor values on rows, this will create a visual link between the tasks in the Gantt chart. By default, when you specify a predecessor, a Finish-to-Start relationship is established between items, such that a row's task will start after the predecessor finishes. You can change this to a Start-to-Finish relationship, if needed, to have a task finish before a designated predecessor task starts. If you click on the pencil icon in a cell within the Predecessors column on your project sheet, this will open the Edit Predecessors window where you can set the type to a different setting.

More information on these Predecessor settings can be found in the Enable Dependencies and Use Predecessors Help article from our Learning Center. If you're interested in setting up a "workback" schedule with Start-to-Finish relationships, take a look at the Project with Hard Deadline and Gantt template from the Solution Center.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Ben