Inconsistency with copy row automation

Hello!

I am running into some issues when attempting to utilize a copy row automation. Sometimes the rows are copied to another sheet, and sometimes they're not. Here's a breakdown of my process...

Sheet 1- approval workflow is automated upon form submission, records a date when approval is granted

Sheet 2- utilizes a VLOOKUP function to pull the date from sheet 1, also utilizes a helper column to check the recorded approval date to today's date, ***automation is set to copy rows to a third sheet when rows are changed and the helper column is equal to a certain value***

Sheet 3 - should have the rows copied onto it

*** The automation to copy rows from sheet 2 to sheet 3 is where I am having trouble. I've tried to set the automation to read the date itself, but even that doesn't work.

This has been an extremely frustrating issue! Does anyone have some advice or insights from dealing with a similar issue??

Thank you in advance!!

Best Answer

• Brandon Vanlandingham
    Answer ✓

Goodmorning @Andrée Starå !

Unfortunately, I think that's going to be the not so easy answer to my issue... I was hoping to avoid the recurrent workflow so that the rows would copy instantaneously, but I may just have to settle for hourly updates.

I remembered this passage, but the intention was for the cross sheet formula to trigger a sheet change in sheet 2, this change in sheet 2 would then trigger the copy row automation. I suppose it is essentially the same process, but just with an extra step.

Thank you for your response!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

Cheers,

Brandon

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brandon Vanlandingham

I hope you're well and safe!

Could this be the reason why it's not working?

To prevent infinite approval loops, cells which contain cross-sheet formulas or cell links will not trigger an automation which automatically changes the sheet (Move Row, Copy Row, Lock Row, Unlock Row, Approval Request). To work around this, consider using time-based automation or recurrence workflows.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brandon Vanlandingham
    Answer ✓

Goodmorning @Andrée Starå !

Unfortunately, I think that's going to be the not so easy answer to my issue... I was hoping to avoid the recurrent workflow so that the rows would copy instantaneously, but I may just have to settle for hourly updates.

I remembered this passage, but the intention was for the cross sheet formula to trigger a sheet change in sheet 2, this change in sheet 2 would then trigger the copy row automation. I suppose it is essentially the same process, but just with an extra step.

Thank you for your response!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

Cheers,

Brandon

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!