Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Multiple Links to Another Sheet

Options
Dennis Wierzbicki
Dennis Wierzbicki ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello. I have several sub sheets that feed into a master sheet. In the master, all the tasks and columns of the sub sheets appear. We're having vendors update the sub sheets, and when they do this, their inputs are linked to our internal master sheet.

What I want to do is EASILY set up multiple (and numerous) cell links from the sub sheets to the master, but doing this one by one, cell by cell, is taking forever. 

Is there a way to link columns, or entire sections of one sheet to an identical section in another sheet?

Thanks,

Dennis

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/29/17
    Options

Have you considered creating a report? The report would aggregate particular data from the sheets into one report. The only drawback to report is that you can't do anything but view or update the data that is gathered in a report. You can't create additional data off of the summarized data. 

https://www.smartsheet.com/product-tour/reporting

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dennis,

If you select more than one cell and Copy it (Ctrl+C), when you go to the target sheet, use either Ctrl+Shift+V or right-click and select Paste Special. Choose the option to Paste "Links to copied cells" and the whole selection will be linked.

There is a limit to the number of cells you can do at a time, but I forget how many.

Craig

• Dennis Wierzbicki
    Options

Craig and Mike - thanks. I eventually figured that out, but I also noticed not all cells can be linked. Like many things in SmartSheet, there are restrictions.

For example, I can't do an outlinlink from Finish date, but I can link to Start and Duration. Must have something to do with the fact that Finish is a calculated value, based on Start and Duration?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dennis,

Yes, there are limitations.

Finish Date is one of them.

Pretty much all of the main project settings in Parent rows are another.

Anything that Smartsheet is calculating for us is suspect.

Craig

• Tkaraly123
    Options

Hello,

I am currently wanting to set up a Master Sheet to show all the information from our sub sheets Just as you mentioned. I would APPRECIATE GREATLY how you did that! Thanks!

• EGrosshans
    Options

I have a similar situation...multiple subsheets to master.

I looked at formulas and opted for Zapier.  Very easy sheet to sheet with a filter column....if column33 has is TRUE then copy row from subsheet to master.  The only drawback is that you must select the fields in the row 1 by 1 but once done, it works.  Well the other drawback is that it cost $20 a month but if use often it will pay for itself.   By the way this also solves the ROWID issue...if you haven't run up against it yet, you will eventually.

This discussion has been closed.