copy rows automation with date formula

Options

I have two sheets - one with routine tasks, the other with a list of assigned tasks. I have an automation built into the first sheet to copy rows to the second sheet on a regular basis. The first sheet has a date column which uses the TODAY() function.

I'm having a problem with items appearing on the second sheet with the wrong date. I know that the formula is lost in transit, but does Smartsheet evaluate the formula at the time the automation is run? Does the sheet have to be accessed for the cell contents to be updated prior to the automation?

Anyone with similar issues?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It may be that the automation is grabbing the row before the automation "activates" the sheet to update the TODAY function.

Do you have access to the Record A Date automation? If so, you can use that to populate a helper column prior to the copy row automation running.

Set the Record A Date automation to run daily at 1:00am and the condition would be when the helper column is in the past. Have the automation populate the helper column.

Then set your daily recurrence of the copy row automation to run at say 2:00am.

The record a date will update the TODAY function prior to the copy row automation running and your dates should be accurate.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!