How to share reports/dashboards with the filter on Current User, without sharing the source sheet?

04/08/21
Accepted

Hello,

I'd like my team members to have access to HR information in a Dashboard, but only info concerning them (current user) should be displayed.

I created a sheet, no one but me, has access to, listing all my team members. Then, I created a report and added a filter "Team member - Has any of - Current User". Finally, I created a dashboard and added this report to it.

But because they don't have access to the source sheet, they can't see the report (even if in a Workspace they have access to), nor the Dashboard.

Is there a way to give access to a report/dashboard with this filter, without giving access to the source sheet? The idea is to maintain only 1 sheet with all the HR info and 1 report, and not one for each team member.

Thanks a lot!

Best Answer

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Marie-Loup Baron

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• What Smartsheet plan do you have? If you have Enterprise+, you could use WorkApps, and then you could do it precisely as you need.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

Answers

Accepted Answer

Hi @Marie-Loup Baron

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• What Smartsheet plan do you have? If you have Enterprise+, you could use WorkApps, and then you could do it precisely as you need.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Hi @Andrée Starå. Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I will submit an enhancement request.

I do not have this kind of plan unfortunately so I wouldn't have the possibility to find the workaround through WorkApps.

Thanks again for the answer and have a good rest of the week!

@Marie-Loup Baron

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Another option.

I've developed something I call Dynamic View light, where you have one master source and then separate sheets for the other users where they can view only the information they should have access to. It could also be structured to show through a report with the current user feature.

It's a reasonably advanced solution, but it works perfectly.

Would that be an option?

• It might be too advanced for the information I need to share at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind for future dashboards! :)

Thank you again.

@Marie-Loup Baron

I'm always happy to help!

• Lachlan SteadLachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you need them to edit or just view?

• Hi @Lachlan Stead . Just view.

• Lachlan SteadLachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/11/21

@Marie-Loup Baron - you could simply use the publish function if that's the case? This wouldn't work for current user filtering though unfortunately.

• Thank you for this additional information Lachlan.