Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Multiple selections from drop-down list, enhance database function

Options

Comments

• nbracken
    nbracken
    edited 05/15/18
    Options

+1 for multiselect: I am using a simple task tracker template from the library I want to now add a 'Discuss With' column that I could multi-select people in my working team. We need this functionality. I agree with other commenters it would be beautiful for more useful forms.

• Marc Freedman
    edited 05/16/18
    Options

Seconded on choosing multiple items in pulldown list.  I've had to create separate columns for each value in what should be a single multi-choice field. It makes the sheet unwieldy when you have 25 different columns for each single option!

• RyanSCampbell
    Options

@Kara Lumley - Any updated on when/if we are going to be getting multiple selection drop down lists?

Is this feature even on the roadmap?

• Kara Lumley
    Options

Hi Ryan

We are planning to look into multi-select dropdown columns after multiple contacts in columns is shipped, so approximately late this year or early next year. We're encouraging folks to share specific scenarios where they would want to use the feature, to help inform the design.

Thank you,

Kara

• akay
    Options

I think the use is very broad: any situation where a user would want to check all options that apply in a form instead of being limited to a single option; multiple options connected by "and" instead of "or"; a checkbox group instead of a radio button group.

• MattRuggles
    MattRuggles ✭✭✭
    Options

+1 This feature is clearly in demand, please add my support for this to the list.

• AmandaZied
    Options

Hi!

We would like the functionality added as well!

Here's a scenario for something we are working on:

So, our company has 15 segments, which we are using in place of Locations - and in Smart Sheet, I want a column where user can select 1 or more segments - when I tried with the drop-down column properties, it appears that you can only choose 1 item - not multiple.

Thank you,

Amanda

• We would like this function as well for the following scenario:

We have a design department that can create various design documents. It would be more efficient to be able to select multiple options from the pull down without creating multiple columns with checkboxes.  i.e.

2D drawings

3D drawings

Color renderings

Specification sheets

• We have a great need for multi-value selection since our users could select 1 or many different values for multiple attributes such as brand or region.

• MikeyMike
    Options

+1 for this functionality

• alopez
    alopez ✭✭
    Options

I also really need to be able to create a multi-select drop down list. The workaround of creating every possible permutation isn't very realistic.

• Saylor
    Saylor ✭✭✭
    edited 06/29/18
    Options

I would also like the multi-select function.  More specifically to be used in customer onboarding surveys (web forms) where they have to select a suite of services used.  We cannot use SmartSheet today for our customer onboarding surveys and use a third-party survey app.  Would love to cut that expense and keep everything nice and neat in Smartsheet.

• glenaz54081
    Options

Adding my +1 as well.  If looking for a use case, I manage a business program at Tulane University.  My Smartsheet if for adjunct instructors contact info, courses taught, etc.  I love the ability to have each adjunct (over 150+) update their own contact info, bio, etc.  For the multi-select, having them select the courses they are interested in teaching from a drop down (and the ability to add/remove those when they update their row) would be great.

I would imagine, however, Smartsheet would have to become more of a relational database, with the one column being linked to another table and the ability to have a one-to-many relationship.  If this is in the works, that would be even better (and the ability to have a form update multiple sheets could be done too), but even if the multi-select was just a string input than could be later parsed out would be a good interim step.

• Laura Miller
    Options

+1 for this feature - my team really needs it. We often need to select business units that will be a target for a project's deployment. Since multiple selection in a dropdown isn't available, we've had to instead create individual columns with checkboxes. It makes our sheet so "wide" and it is really difficult to manage the information. Multiple selections would solve this issue and other similar issues we have with data management. I really, really hope this is coming shortly.

• steven54521
    Options

We really need this feature as well. Particularly for assigning multiple project assignees to a single task. 

This discussion has been closed.