Formula Help

I have a sheet with three columns (see image). I need the Project Name column and Call Meeting Date column to auto-populate with data from another sheet, using the Row ID as the matching information. I know that I can link cells across two different sheets, but it's time consuming since they must be linked one by one. Does anyone know of a formula that will work? I believe that VLOOKUP should work, but I have not been able to come up with the correct formula. I am not trying to summarize any data, I am simply need to link the data from one sheet to the other. Thank you for your help.

her sheet (without having to link the information one-by-one).

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

As long as the Row IDs match on both sheets, try this...

=INDEX({Other Sheet Project Name Column}, VALUE([Row ID]@row))

Is there a reason you are pulling the data this way instead of using a report?

• Kirt Tassmer
    Kirt Tassmer ✭✭
    Answer ✓

If I understand correctly what you are looking for. This is the formula I used to get the information to come over from the other sheet. My other sheet is "New Sheet2" and my project name was in column 4.

=VLOOKUP([Row ID]1, {New Sheet2 Range 2}, 4, false)

I did notice I was getting an error message on pulling a date over with VLOOKUP when the cell the formula was in was not formatted as a date. Check that as well if you're still having problems.

• Allison Bishop
    Allison Bishop ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you. @Paul Newcome I am trying your INDEX formula first. Looks like I am getting closer to what I need. Yet, it's not capturing the correct Project Name from the matching ID number. Instead, it is pulling the Project Name that is located on a specific row. I have attached a screen shot. Also, I changed the name of the ID column from Row ID to Project Request Number. The project request number is an autogenerated number.

The reason I am not creating a report because I can't see the report in Calendar view, and publish the calendar. The sheet I am pulling from has many date fields which need to be separated out because they only apply to specific people in our office.

Thank you very much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

• Jen Lange
    Jen Lange ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/28/21 Answer ✓

@Allison Bishop , you should be able to use a VLOOKUP formula. I use it successfully from one sheet to another to look up a category attribute for a task. Based on the above and your screen shares, I think the following maybe be close. Adjust the references if/as needed.

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([Job Request Number]@row, {Project Name Reference}, 4, false), "try again")

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I was under the impression that your Row ID matched the actual row number on both sheets. My apologies. Try this...

=INDEX({Other Sheet Project Name Column}, MATCH([Project Request Number]@row, {Other Sheet Project Request Number Column}, 0))

• Allison Bishop
    Allison Bishop ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Paul Newcome , great thank you. Yes, I see how it was read that way. Both the your formulas are very useful. Thank you for your help.

Answers