Forms Workaround: Submit button opens new form to allow sub-info - How do I stop when user is done?

Options

Please help! I'm stuck.

Goal:

Create a form customers can use to report a problem with an order. The order may have more than one line item (i.e. Customer ordered 5 received 3 of product #1-ABC and ordered 3 and received 5 of product #1-ABE, both on same order) I want the customer to be able to provide their contact information, and order# in the form and be able to list each line item that they have a problem with (like Parent/child relationship) without having to submit several forms, repeating the same "header information" over and over. Also, once done, I want to provide a confirmation that their form was submitted.

Current State:

I've created a list with 2 forms. The first form collects the header information (company, contact, order# etc.) and the submit button triggers the opening of a 2nd form asking for the particular situation (missing item, wrong product, etc.) and details about the item (part #, qty ordered, qty rcvd, etc.). On this form, I had the submit button to open a new form so they could add more line items. This ALMOST gets me there. When I open the table view, there is a row with the header information and under that, a row with issue and product details from the 2nd form. The header fields are empty.

My problem is, I don't know how to stop the loop so the customer entering the form can say "this is the last line, I'm done". Ideally, I'd be able to use conditional formatting or something to allow them to say this is the end or something so I can respond with a confirmation that we got their form. If there is a better approach than what I'm doing, I am open to suggestion but of course, I am working against the clock.

Help?? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Teresa Durham 

Hope you are fine, Please add a copy of your sheet or a screenshot (after removing or replacing any sensitive information). This will make it easier for me to provide the appropriate answer to your question.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Teresa Durham

I hope you're well and safe!

Your solution sounds similar to something I developed as well.

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Mine works, so the header is conditionally formatted, and then you can see each group together. I have a default value to indicate if it's the header.

In your use case, I'd recommend adding a checkbox or similar at the end of the form with something like, Please check here if this is the last article in your order. You could then use that to conditionally format the row to indicate the end of the group.

I'd be happy to share my example. 

Please send me an email at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Teresa Durham
    Teresa Durham ✭✭
    edited 05/24/21
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå, I appreciate the offer. I added the checkbox but could not find where to add the conditional logic. 🤔 I will drop you an email.