Alert someone automation - Not including attachments

Mtmoroni
Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone noticing that a automation of alert someone is not including attachments of that row, even if its to send all rows, comments and attachments?

If I right click on the row and send it, it includes everything - but not on a automation.

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mtmoroni

I hope you're well and safe!

To have attachments be included, an Alert has to be triggered by the attachment. Otherwise, you'd have to use the Update Request feature instead because there it's always included if selected.

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mtmoroni
    Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭

I would question why the automation has selectable fields to send with one being an attachment? What does "an attachment" portion mean/do?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mtmoroni

Yes, I can agree that it can be confusing, but in an alert, it basically means that the attachment(s) would be included if an attachment triggered the workflow.

It would be great if there were more granularity.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mtmoroni
    Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭

While it does make sense; it doesn't. I have submitted that enhancement request.

So the only way, from your viewpoint, to send an alert to someone, based on a checkmark in a column, which would then include the attachments from said row - is to do a update request - even though no update is needed?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mtmoroni

Unfortunately, yes. I've done this recently for a client that wanted to include a PDF manual for a new order to service technician.

I have a faint memory of someone mentioned that there is another instance where the Attachment would be included in an Alert. I think it was if there had been any change with the attachments (not necessarily triggered by it).

• I appreciate this thread, and am having similar issues. While I understand this feature isn't enabled yet, the "submit and update request" also poses an issue. I can request someone to submit an update, though I don't need anything updated, and that's the only way they get to see the attachment. However, if they actually "submit the update request" they can't get back to the attachment because that link has already been used and submitted.

Unfortunately not all of our departments are going to be using Smartsheet right away but we need a way to get other team members information submitted, and right now that doesn't seem to be feasible using the automated feature.

I believe this would be a great enhancement made by Smartsheet.

• In my point of view that's not an enhancement need that's an issue to be corrected

The workflow let me alert someone and allow me to choose Attachement Field but never send the attachement o_O

Solutions described are just workaround and that's not enough

• JoelK
    JoelK ✭✭

@Andrée Starå

Sorry to be reviving an old thread. I've seen you mention a number of times that if an attachment is the trigger for an automated alert workflow, the attachment will be included in the email. I'm using the attachment being added as the trigger, but it does not include the attachment in the alert email--only the message text. Is there a step I'm missing? I'm including a screenshot of the workflow for clarity.

Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JoelK

I hope you're well and safe!

If you click on the Includes message only text, you'll get other options. (see below)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!