Add Attachments from a Reply in an Email to the Corresponding Row in Smartsheet

Hello!

I am trying to create a successful ticketing process in Smartsheet for my company. I am about to pitch to the COO to use Dynamic View as an easy interface for our end users when handling incoming tickets. There is one functionality that I cannot seem to fix that would be HUGE for the end users here.

NOTE: All ticket submitters are employees at my company, but they do not work with Smartsheet and only know to submit a ticket on an online form (that I created with Smartsheet).

When a ticket is submitted, best practice for our end users is to go into the Comments tab in Dynamic View and @mention the ticket submitter. The ticket submitter then receives an email where the end user is trying to get more information, and sometimes a photo is needed.

Since the ticket submitter does not know how to add an attachment in Smartsheet and we want to make this as easy as possible, is there any way that if the ticket submitter attaches a photo in the response of their email and send it back, it can auto-populate in their corresponding row (ticket) in Smartsheet?

It seems a little crazy that that is not possible, but I can't seem to find a way to make this happen.

Any insight would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Genevieve Evans

Upon further testing on this, I suggest the workflow below that may be able to help to accomplish what you are trying to do.

In the sheet where the Dynamic View is being generated from, add helper columns. A "Need more information (checkbox)" as well as a "Ticket Submitter (contact)" column. You will add the "Ticket Submitter (contact)" field in the form that the ticket submitters fill out.

This field will then be used for receiving emails. See image below of my sample setup.

The sheet setup where the form submissions are being captured.

You can lock the "Ticket Submitter" & "Need Additional Information" in the sheet. You also dont have to include "Need Additional Information" in the form. When a new form is submitted, the alert gets sent out to the End User which has the link of the Dynamic View. See my sample alert workflow.

The End User gets the email for review & a link of the Dynamic View. In the Dynamic View, the ticket submitter needs to provide more information. From here, the End User will "check" the "Need Additional Information?" which will trigger an Update Request alert to the "Ticket Submitter"

The setup for Update Request, the alert will trigger if the condition of "Need Additional Information?" is met such as "Checked." The email content will only include specific fields that the ticket submitter can view & add more information - such as attachments or comments. You will send this to whoever is in that "Ticket Submitter" cell (which is why I stated to have the option for the ticket submitter to put in their email)

Once that alert is triggered, the ticket submitter will receive an email that has a "Open Update Form" then the form would look like the image below.

This allows them to update their information & add attachments.

Let me know if this works!

See links below for reference on how I had set this up.

Cheers,

Krissia

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Genevieve Evans

Upon further testing on this, I suggest the workflow below that may be able to help to accomplish what you are trying to do.

In the sheet where the Dynamic View is being generated from, add helper columns. A "Need more information (checkbox)" as well as a "Ticket Submitter (contact)" column. You will add the "Ticket Submitter (contact)" field in the form that the ticket submitters fill out.

This field will then be used for receiving emails. See image below of my sample setup.

The sheet setup where the form submissions are being captured.

You can lock the "Ticket Submitter" & "Need Additional Information" in the sheet. You also dont have to include "Need Additional Information" in the form. When a new form is submitted, the alert gets sent out to the End User which has the link of the Dynamic View. See my sample alert workflow.

The End User gets the email for review & a link of the Dynamic View. In the Dynamic View, the ticket submitter needs to provide more information. From here, the End User will "check" the "Need Additional Information?" which will trigger an Update Request alert to the "Ticket Submitter"

The setup for Update Request, the alert will trigger if the condition of "Need Additional Information?" is met such as "Checked." The email content will only include specific fields that the ticket submitter can view & add more information - such as attachments or comments. You will send this to whoever is in that "Ticket Submitter" cell (which is why I stated to have the option for the ticket submitter to put in their email)

Once that alert is triggered, the ticket submitter will receive an email that has a "Open Update Form" then the form would look like the image below.

This allows them to update their information & add attachments.

Let me know if this works!

See links below for reference on how I had set this up.

Cheers,

Krissia

• This is fantastic, thank you, @Krissia !