View Only Access to Subset of Columns

Options

I'm looking for way to allow a restricted view (sub set of columns) to and an external organization (I've set up a View Only user group).

1st try: Create a report with just the columns - FAIL. I still need to grant the view only permission to the source sheet

2nd: Create a 'query sheet' that 'VLOOKUPS' just the columns - FAIL same reason as above

3rd: Automation to copy the query sheet or report to a ViewOnly permissioned workspace - FAIL - Automation doesn't exist

4th: Automate copying each from the query sheet to the ViewOnly sheet - PASS (kinda) - FAIL - because there's no automation to delete rows....DESPITE being able to automate Moving them

PLEASE can someone help with ANY of the above workarounds? (especially no.4)

(just posted in https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/66496/auto-deletion-from-the-smart-sheet-based-on-workflow but thought probably best to create a separate thread).

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @James Parry

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps (If you have Enterprise or higher)
    • I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @James Parry

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps (If you have Enterprise or higher)
    • I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Parry
    Options

Hi Andrée

Thank you for the super quick response. VLOOKUP has gone and replaced with below

=IFERROR(INDEX({Pipeline Summary Range 3}, MATCH(Date@row, {Pipeline Summary Range 1}, 0), 1), "")

Now to repeat for the next 23 columns

Thanks Again !

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@James Parry

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!