Can you scale a horizontal smooth line table to date

I have created a scatter table that has the readings from the days from start date.

I would like this as a smooth line table but the horizontal values should be the actual date.

Is this possible?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would make sure to include the date column in your data selection for the chart and then select the option to use the first column as data labels.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I tried that but it doesn't spread out the horizontal graph properly. It just bunches it all up

Thanks

James

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean that you would want larger gaps between dates that are further apart and smaller gaps between dates that are closer together?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• HI Paul,

Yes larger gaps when dates are further apart, smaller gaps when there is only 3 days between readings. This would make the gradient of the lines more like real time.

If I had done readings at a weekly frequency this wouldnt be a problem

Thanks

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you set up a second sheet and pre-fill a bunch of dates with each row being the next day, you can then use a formula with a cross sheet reference such as an INDEX/MATCH to pull the data for the correct dates.

Then in another column you would use a formula to say that if the second column is not blank, pull the date.

Move this last column over to the left and the data column immediately to the right.

That last column built will be the data labels for your chart.

10xViz.com