Automated Workflow to Assign People Not Working Consistently

Hi!

I just created a workflow to assign contact to 'Responsible Designee' column when 'Risk' column changes to AR, HR or SURVIVOR. So, the automation works on some rows, but not all. Screenshots below (only showing one of the automated workflows). Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Thu Nghiem

It looks like your "RISK?" column that triggers the workflow is populated either by a cross-sheet formula or cell links.

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet (such as an Assign User workflow) cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links, cross-sheet formulas, or formulas that refer to another cell with an inbound cell link or cross sheet formula. See the Note at the bottom of this Help Article: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

As an alternative, I would suggest setting your trigger to be a Date Based workflow (such as once-a-day) to check and see if your criteria are met and then assign someone. See: Create a Time-Based Automated Workflow

You would want to add in another Condition that says only assign someone if there isn't already someone assigned.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Thu Nghiem

It looks like your "RISK?" column that triggers the workflow is populated either by a cross-sheet formula or cell links.

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet (such as an Assign User workflow) cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links, cross-sheet formulas, or formulas that refer to another cell with an inbound cell link or cross sheet formula. See the Note at the bottom of this Help Article: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

As an alternative, I would suggest setting your trigger to be a Date Based workflow (such as once-a-day) to check and see if your criteria are met and then assign someone. See: Create a Time-Based Automated Workflow

You would want to add in another Condition that says only assign someone if there isn't already someone assigned.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Great! Thank you for your help! I revised the rule to run once a day at a specific time and only if the "Risk?" column has the specified selections and added a condition when "Responsible Designee" is blank. Fingers crossed it'll work! 😊

Thu