Circular Reference Error

Hello!

We are using an intake sheet to track project submissions. We have 5 cells on the intake sheet that we link in from a Project Metadata sheet within the specific folder for each project. The Project Metadata pulls in information from a Project Plan sheet. When linking the "Schedule at Risk" from Project Plan out to Project Metadata, then from Project Metadata out to Intake Sheet, we get a Circular Reference error sometimes.

The process/formulas/cell links we are using follow the same exact steps but sometimes we receive the circular reference error, and others we do not. I have triple checked the formulas and I'm just not seeing where there could be a circular reference.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/17/21

Hi @EJ 

Hope you are fine, my advice is to use Index With Match or collect function instead of cell linking .

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hi @EJ

Is it possible that your Project Plan sheet is looking at the Intake sheet in any way?

If there isn't anything in the Project Plan that's looking into the Intake sheet or Metadata sheet, it would be helpful to see screen captures of all three sheets to understand your set-up a bit more, and formulas you're using, but please block out sensitive data.

If it's fairly complex, you may want to contact Smartsheet Support to walk through this over a screen share instead.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now